none
Trouble working with the code samples in the Kinect for Windows SDK (getting errors all over the place!) RRS feed

• Question

• Just bought a Kinect for Windows sensor and installed the SDK and developer toolkit. The Kinect is working wonderfully with the included sample applications. However, when I open up the .sln files to view the source code (in this case, the InteractionGallery-WPF project), I get all kinds of errors - for example, opening up WorldMap.xaml:

"Uri is not supported in a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) project."

Or in HomeScreenContent.xaml:

The name "List" does not exist in the namespace "clr-namespace:System.Collections.Generic;assembly=mscorlib".

The property "TypeArguments" does not exist in the "http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" namespace.

What's weird is that everything builds just fine. I just can't use Design View due to the above errors. Every XAML file has at least two and sometimes as many as eight of these errors. It would seem to be a broken reference of some sort, but I haven't changed a single thing from the base installation and all of the references are present.

This is on Win7 SP1 x64, Visual Studio 2012 Express (though I tried it with VS 2010 as well, same issues), .NET 4.5 framework.
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:28 PM

Answers

• Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I tried this on my home computer last night (also Win7 x64) and had the exact same problems. I did try reinstalling .NET (even tried downgrading to 4.0 just in case) but no luck there either.

I followed the tutorial on the project at http://dotneteers.net/blogs/vbandi/archive/2013/03/25/kinect-interactions-with-wpf-part-i-getting-started.aspx, which uses all of the same Kinect components, and everything worked perfectly including Design View. So, I'm pretty confused at this point.

I'm not sure how to go about using the namespaces in a new project, but if you could give me some instructions on how to add it and how to test to know it's working, I can do it. I don't see any references to System.Collection.Generic in the Dotneteers project, so that one might not be the best indicator of issues with the SDK.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:21 PM

All replies

• Some of the Kinect projects have an additional Toolkit/Toolkit.Controls project dependencies added to the solution. If this is the first time you "Installed" / copied the project from the Toolkit browser to a new location, you will need to build it first for the controls to be integrated with the solution. I don't think this is the issue here.

System.Collection.Generic namespace is part of .Net. You might want to try re-installing .Net 4.0/4.5 again. Additionally try to create a WPF project with some of the same namespaces and see if those compile/run.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh855359.aspx#Software_Requirements

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:18 PM
  • Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I tried this on my home computer last night (also Win7 x64) and had the exact same problems. I did try reinstalling .NET (even tried downgrading to 4.0 just in case) but no luck there either.

I followed the tutorial on the project at http://dotneteers.net/blogs/vbandi/archive/2013/03/25/kinect-interactions-with-wpf-part-i-getting-started.aspx, which uses all of the same Kinect components, and everything worked perfectly including Design View. So, I'm pretty confused at this point.

I'm not sure how to go about using the namespaces in a new project, but if you could give me some instructions on how to add it and how to test to know it's working, I can do it. I don't see any references to System.Collection.Generic in the Dotneteers project, so that one might not be the best indicator of issues with the SDK.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 2:21 PM
  • If that tutorial worked for you it may be something with the solution/project files. If you did an upgrade to the project when you opened it with VS2012 Express, it may have modified the settings.

You could try removing the references in the InteractionGallery project and setup the references again. Additionally, you can check to make sure the project has ".Net Framework 4 Client Profile" for the Target Framework for all the projects.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 5:44 PM