Cannot open vcproj file in Expression Blend 3 RRS feed

• Question

• I am writing a WPF project and using Expression Blend 3 to design the UI, and Visual Studio 2008 for the backup code.

One of the controls in my project has a D3DImage, on which I am putting an umanaged DirectX animation. This all works perfectly when I run it in Visual Studio, but when I try to open the project in Expression Blend I get the message that the .vcproj can not be loaded. I can click ok to this and the .csproj loads. However, I really can no longer do anything with this project in Blend because every time my mouse gets anywhere near the control with the D3DImage I get dozens of error messages.

Do I really have to comment out all of the code related to my unmanaged project EVERY TIME I open it in Expression Blend, or is there a way to make Blend understand this project???
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:47 AM

All replies

• Yes, we don't support opening .vcproj files in a solution.

That said, we were not aware of any issues when you interact with the WPF design surface, and your solution contains a .vcproj. Is it possible to share out a repro project so we can investigate and come up with a fix / workaround? You can email it to me directly at unnir at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
    Unni
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:00 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

The problem comes from the fact that the D3DImage is on a control, which is on the main window. The code for the control references bits from the vcproj, which Blend can not find, so it can't load the control. This would be o.k. if it merely left a blank rectangle on the control (or for the entire control for that matter). But it makes working with the main window nearly impossible because of all the error boxes it sends up any time my mouse travels over the control. I didn't really expect Blend to be able to deal with the unmanaged code, but is there a way to stop all of the error boxes?

Here is a CodeProject link where I got most of my info for using D3DImage:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/WPF/D3DImage.aspx

This works fine, as I said, it is only the error messages that make things difficult. 

Cheers.
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:06 AM