none
Embed a third-party application window in a window RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I would like to embed in some way a third party application in my own application window. The third party application is a Win32 native application that shows only one window on the screen.

I thought of two possible (?) solutions:
    1) Reparent the third party window using the Windows API
    2) Force the third party window size and position and remove the application title bar using the Windows API.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Sandro

Tuesday, September 4, 2007 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Sandro,

It is possible to some extent, but if you take it to practice, you will get many strange behaviors, for example, when the third party window refreshed itself, it will not notify its parent window to redraw its client area since it thinks itself a parent, it is always a bad idea to make a window believe itself is a parent window but actually it has been sentence to child. If you just want it looks like embed in your application, then you can use FindWindow and MoveWindow API to keep third party window fixed in certain area of your own window.

For more information, please see: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997562.aspx

hope it helps

rico

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandro,

It is possible to some extent, but if you take it to practice, you will get many strange behaviors, for example, when the third party window refreshed itself, it will not notify its parent window to redraw its client area since it thinks itself a parent, it is always a bad idea to make a window believe itself is a parent window but actually it has been sentence to child. If you just want it looks like embed in your application, then you can use FindWindow and MoveWindow API to keep third party window fixed in certain area of your own window.

For more information, please see: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997562.aspx

hope it helps

rico

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Thank you very much Rico for the info!

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:00 AM