none
WIndows 10: Device name does not update after driver update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We have a network device which utilizes a Broadcom controller. Historically, we have altered the standard Broadcom inf files to change the device name and set the advanced properties in the device manager to our desired default settings. We then re certify the driver package to get the digital signature.

Windows 10 contains an inbox driver for this controller and loads this driver upon first boot. When I install our driver package using the updated inf, I can browse to inf file and it is detected as the correct driver and shows the updated device name in the update driver wizard window.

The problem is that after the driver install is complete, the device name in the device manager is not updated. It continues to to show the original Broadcom device name. The driver version has updated correctly and all the advanced properties have been correctly set per the inf but the device name does not update.

The only time the device name gets correctly updated is when the device is enumerated and installed upon boot instead of doing a driver update of an already installed device (I can verify this using a previously certified driver).

Is this a known issue with Windows 10? Or does Windows 10 require an additional line/section in the inf to get the device name to update?

Thanks!

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:41 PM

All replies

• does setupapi.dev.log say anything interesting?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 4:53 AM
  • Hi there,

Thank you for the response. I didn't see any errors noted in the log. It just shows it discovering the device, matching up the inf file, verifying the digital signature and adding it to the the driver store, and then installing the device. It exits with success.

Anything special I should be looking for?

Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:34 PM