none
How to check whether Addin (SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe) is installed on a machine? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

i am facing a problem while checking the availability of the Microsoft Add-in SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe is installed?

I am adding this file in Installer. My installer checks whether this Add-in is already installed. If not, it installs from the installer.

Can anyone tell me how can i check whether it is already installed? (registry entry or any other entry which was made during the installation).

Note: this is a Microsoft Office 2007 Addin (For converting documents into PDF of XPS)

Thanks in Advance,
    Kishor
    Monday, December 26, 2011 10:05 AM

Answers

• Hi, After much investigation, i found that an installing the Add-in "SaveAsPdfandXPS.exe", two files are getting copied. EXP_PDF.DLL and EXP_XPS.DLL Both these files are copied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12 (For 64 Bit machines) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12 (For 32 bit machines) Thanks and Regards, Kishor Reddy
    • Marked as answer by Kishor Reddy Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

All COM add-ins are listed in the Application.COMAddins collection. You can loop through the collection and check if a given COM add-in (of the COMAddin type) exists in the collection. A COM add-in is identified by the COMAddin.ProgID property; to find out what ProgID relates to the add-in in question, you can output the value returned by COMAddin.ProgID property for every COM add-in in Word on your machine. Note that a COM add-in can be truned off, see COMAddin.Connect property.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader
    • Edited by Andrei Smolin Monday, December 26, 2011 1:39 PM Typo. Outlook-->Word
    Monday, December 26, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your reply. Are you talking about Registry entries only ? If so, can you provide me the actual Registry path to look into.

If you are not talking about registry entries, can you provide me the exact location to look into ?

Thanks,

Kishor Reddy

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:00 AM
  • A COM add-in is registered in this registry branch:

{HKLM or HKCU}\Software\Microsoft\Office\{Office application}\Addins\{add-in's ProgID}

That is, if you know the ProgID of the add-in in question, you can check if the add-in exists. Then, you need to check if the add-in will be loaded and connected when Word starts: you look for value named LoadBehavior in that registry branch. LoadBehavior is also described here.

The above applies if your code works 'outside' of the Office application.

In my previous post I described another situation: you code works in a Word add-in or in a standalone application that automates Word. In this situation, you can walk through the Word.COMAddins collection and check the COMAddin.Connect property for an entry that has appropriate value in COMAddin.ProgID property.

Andrei Smolin
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Kishor Reddy Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Hi Andrei, Sorry for the late reply. But i am not able to find the "SaveasPDFandXPS.exe" addin entry in the specified section of the registry. Is there any other registry entry to look for ? Thanks and Regards, Kishor Reddy
    Friday, January 6, 2012 6:21 AM
  • I've found that this add-in was available in Office 2007 and Office 2007 SP1. In Service Pack 2 (SP2) for the 2007 Office system, they say: "Before the release of the 2007 Microsoft Office Suite SP2, PDF or XPS file-saving capability was available only as an add-in". I don't know if that add-in was a COM add-in.

That is, you need to check what Office version is installed and then check if 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS is installed. I think this sort of things can be found in the registry, I'd start with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData, find some useful info about this key in Windows Installer Error 2908 when installing bulky setup projects.

Note however, that it is possible to disable this functionality via group policy, see Disable Save AS PDF in Word 2007.

Andrei Smolin
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:45 AM
  • Hi Andrei, Can you tell me the files and their locations that are installed/added on installing the Addin : Save as PDF and XPS ? Thanks and Regards, Kishor Reddy
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:45 PM
  • No I cannot. To know this, you need to install it on Office 2007 without service packs installed.

Andrei Smolin
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 8:52 AM
  • Hi, After much investigation, i found that an installing the Add-in "SaveAsPdfandXPS.exe", two files are getting copied. EXP_PDF.DLL and EXP_XPS.DLL Both these files are copied to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12 (For 64 Bit machines) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE12 (For 32 bit machines) Thanks and Regards, Kishor Reddy
    • Marked as answer by Kishor Reddy Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:24 AM