none
outlook addin runs in win7 and 2008 but not in xp RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have created one addin that works both with 2010 and 2007 and it runs on 64bit system windows 7 and windows 2008 64bit sv,

    but it is not working on windows xp sp3 32 bit. The load behavior is turning out to 2 from 3.and in the outlook  trust center it shows it as "Not loaded: A runtime error has occurred"

    I have tried turning the alerts and log on/off with no help, i have installed the needed prequisted softwares .

    I have tried adding registry keys to both wow64 and directly .

    and hence in the end I m stuck at it.

    what I did,I made a simple hello world plugin and tried to installing at windows xp it gives the same error, so the problem is not with the code, can u help me with some ideas.

    I m using visual studio 2010 for development.

    my project is targeted towards x86 enviorment , and dotnet framework 4.0 client .

    • Edited by siddharthgupta Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:38 PM added target properties
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:32 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hello,

    What Outlook version do use on the problematic PC?

    Did you have a chance to check the Trust center settings in Outlook? What settings do you have set there?

    Is your add-in listed in the Disabled Items list?

    Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly. If an application does not load your add-in the application might have hard disabled or soft disabled your add-in.

    Hard disabling can occur when an add-in causes the application to close unexpectedly. It might also occur on your development computer if you stop the debugger while the Startup event handler in your add-in is executing.

    Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

    When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

    You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN.

    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:50 PM
  • hi, thanks for replying i want to make it clear that it is not disabled,it is in inactive and the load behaviour set to 2 everytime i start (ofcourse after making it 3).

    version of outlook on target machine :2007 (windows xp 32bit,sp3)

    working on these machines

    windows 7 x64 =outlook 2010

    windows 2008 sv x64 =outlook 2007

    i know how to enable disabled addins,i have been working with addins since a time,just got a chance for windows xp now and faced this problem.

    are there any seprate setting for windows xp,i can give you any detail ,please let me know

    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 4:57 PM
  • Try to install the full edition (not Client) of the .Net framework. See Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office for more information.

    Did you have a chance to check the Trust center settings in Outlook? What settings do you have set there?

    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:15 PM
  • hi thanks for helping me out, i did installed dotnet framework and made some sp3 update the results are

    1. I am able to run hello world addin now without any errors

    2. in my original addin i m getting a error

    "An add-in could not be found or could not be loaded."

    Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:55 AM
  • huff,

    finally, i deleted my full project and copy paste full code to the hello world plugin,now the problem is i m not able to run through program files,but if i install to appdata folder i am able to run it,in case of simple hello world plugin i can run by installing to program files too.

    can you please specify which trustcenter security setting are you telling about.

    edited:

    My outlook plugin is working now what I did - changed the manufacturer bane,title etc.

    Still I want to know y cant I run my addin with my old manufacturer name,title :(




    Thursday, May 8, 2014 6:03 AM
  • Most probably registry keys were messed on your machine. See Registry Entries for Application-Level Add-Ins for more information.

    The Program files folder requires administrative permissions for writing anything. You need to use the AppData folder for per user add-ins.

    Thursday, May 8, 2014 2:50 PM