none
Outlook add-in: No option for "Use application manifest for trust information" RRS feed

• Question

• We want users who are installing our Outlook 2010 add-in to see the publisher (i.e. us), the product name, and the support URL during the installation. We have manually added this information to the manifest as part of the build process, however the add-in gets an InvalidDeploymentException when launched. The exception states that "If you do not specify <useManifestForTrust> in the application manifest, you should not specify a publisher or a product name." There is information about this at this site: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7z83t16a.aspx

In a nutshell:

1.Go to the project properties and drill down to Publish:Options...
    2.Under Manifests, check the box labelled "Use application manifest for trust information"
    Sounds easy, except that there is no Manifest section Publish:Options...

All I see is this:

Interestingly, if I create a test project for a forms app, the Manifest section is there, but it does not appear for any Office solution targeting Outlook 2010.

So, the question becomes:"How do I set this option if the Manifest section is not available in the Publish Options?" I suppose the more basic question is "How do I set a publisher, product name, etc. in an Outlook 2010 add-in?"

Monday, May 28, 2012 9:33 PM

Answers

• Hi guzewski,

According to your description, you need users trust your add-in. Is it right?

First step you need create a pfx file to identify yourself. I will use temporary pfx which create with the add-in project as a sample.

Second you need discribue your pfx to users and let them install it to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities stor.

After do that, you add-in setup will be a trusted setup.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

T.X.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi guzewski,

According to your description, you need users trust your add-in. Is it right?

First step you need create a pfx file to identify yourself. I will use temporary pfx which create with the add-in project as a sample.

Second you need discribue your pfx to users and let them install it to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities stor.

After do that, you add-in setup will be a trusted setup.

I hope it can help you.

Have a good day,

T.X.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Sorry about not getting back to you sooner.

I have a couple of comments about your solution:

1. Most of it is in a language that I do not understand. That makes it very difficult to follow.
    2. It seems to be excessively complex. This could be because of the language issue.

All I'm looking for is for a dialog to pop up during the add-in installation that simply asks the user if they trust this component from <insert my company here>. If they say yes, then it is installed. If no, then the installation is cancelled.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:55 PM
  • if you want to have your name in the window you described, simplest option would be to purchase certificate for code signing and use it to sign your add-in during compilation process.
    Friday, June 1, 2012 9:32 AM