Error The "FindInstalledExtension" task failed unexpectedly. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I cloned this extension and try to build it https://github.com/tgjones/HlslTools

got the error Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
    Error The "FindInstalledExtension" task failed unexpectedly.
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800700B7): ExternalSettingsManager::GetScopePaths failed to initialize PkgDefManager for C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Settings.ExternalSettingsManager.GetScopePaths(String applicationPath, String suffixOrName, String vsVersion, Boolean isLogged, Boolean isForIsolatedApplication)
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Settings.ExternalSettingsManager.CreateForApplication(String applicationPath, String rootSuffix)
    at Microsoft.VsSDK.Build.Tasks.ExtensionManagerUtilities.GetSettingsManagerForDevenv(String rootSuffix)
    at Microsoft.VsSDK.Build.Tasks.FindInstalledExtension.Execute()
    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()
    at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.<ExecuteInstantiatedTask>d__26.MoveNext() ShaderTools.Editor.VisualStudio

what possibly went wrong and what can I do to fix it? thanks much

Sunday, August 27, 2017 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi johnnyboy,

Which version of Visual Studio do you use? And do you change any code for this solution?

I’m using Visual Studio 2017 version 15.3.2 (the latest version) and clone entire solution from the link you provided. Then I build it in my Visual Studio 2017, everything is ok. The solution is build successful.

According to the error message “GetScopePaths failed to initialize PkgDefManager”, there should be some problem on your Visual Studio. Please make sure you have enough permissions to access it. You could try run your Visual Studio as administrator.

And please check your Visual Studio version to confirm whether it is the latest version. If not, please update it from Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> Updates -> Product Updates.

In addition, please check whether your Visual Studio support VS extension development. You could try create a new VS Extension project to verify.

If all above are ok, please try repair your Visual Studio. And if the problem is still exist, please use http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the VS and .Net Frameowrk installation logs. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to Onedrive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 28, 2017 7:45 AM
  • I am using 15.3.3 and still having this issue. 
    Monday, September 4, 2017 1:00 PM
  • Hi Prokofiy Klochko,

Do you get the same error message building the same project with johnnyboy?

Please try above steps to check whether there has any problem in your Visual Studio first.

In addition, please share your detailed steps to help us reproduce this problem in our side.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:21 AM