Cluster Failover RRS feed

• Question

• Could not install a second instance. Received Storage Warnings on all errors categories.

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:14 PM

Answers

• If your errors relate to the fact that there is no suitable available shared storage to install your clustered instance (as I suspect) then this is simply because ever single SQL Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) requires its own unique set of shared storage. This allows a FCI to failover as an isolated unit and not effect any other SQL FCIs.

To resolve this problem you should get a Windows and SAN admin to allocated extra shared storage to the cluster before attempting the install again.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:56 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:39 PM

All replies

• Share the error or warning messages you are getting.

You need to have seprate storages for second instance.

Please click the Mark as Answer or Vote As Helpful if a post solves your problem or is helpful!

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:21 PM
  • If your errors relate to the fact that there is no suitable available shared storage to install your clustered instance (as I suspect) then this is simply because ever single SQL Failover Clustered Instance (FCI) requires its own unique set of shared storage. This allows a FCI to failover as an isolated unit and not effect any other SQL FCIs.

To resolve this problem you should get a Windows and SAN admin to allocated extra shared storage to the cluster before attempting the install again.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.

Contact me through (twitter|blog)

Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem
    or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:56 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:39 PM
  • Can you post the drive map/configuration of your cluster boxes & how are you dividing them across?

yup

Sunday, August 19, 2012 7:29 AM