ERROR 404.3 Not Found RRS feed

• Question

• User-790764021 posted

Using Windows Vista Home Premium.  This has IIS V7 and it is working properly when I type localhost in the address bar of I.E. 

When I attempt to open a program using localhost I get the following error:  

HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

I have no idea what a handler or a mime map means.

I went unto Microsoft support site and found the following which again I do not know how to configure a handler or mime let alone what they mean.

Error message when users visit a Web site that is hosted on a server that is running Internet Information Services 7.0: "HTTP Error 404.3 - Not Found"

<script type=text/javascript>function loadTOCNode(){}</script>
    Article ID : 942032
    Last Review : October 4, 2007
    Revision : 1.0

SYMPTOMS

<script type=text/javascript>loadTOCNode(1, 'symptoms');</script>
    Consider the following scenario. You have a Web site that is hosted on a server that is running Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0. When users visit this Web site, the users receive the following error message:
    Server Error in Application "<VAR><application name></VAR>"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HRESULT: 0x80070032
    Description of HRESULT: The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) map policy that is configured on the Web server. The page you requested has a file name extension that is not recognized, and is not allowed.

Back to the top

CAUSE

<script type=text/javascript>loadTOCNode(1, 'cause');</script>
    This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
    The handler mapping for the requested file name extension is not configured.
    The appropriate MIME type is not configured for the Web site or for the application.

Back to the top

RESOLUTION

<script type=text/javascript>loadTOCNode(1, 'resolution');</script>
    To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
    1. Configure a handler mapping for the requested file name extension. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, type inetmgr in the Start Search box, and then click Inetmgr in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    b. In IIS Manager, expand the server, expand Web sites, and then click the Web site that you want to modify.
    c. In Features View, double-click Handler Mappings.
    d. Configure an appropriate handler mapping for the type of the requested file name extension.
    2. Configure an appropriate MIME type for the Web site. To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Click Start, type inetmgr in the Start Search box, and then click Inetmgr in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    b. In IIS Manager, expand the server, expand Web sites, and then click the Web site that you want to modify.
    c. In Features View, double-click MIME Types.
    d. In the Action pane, click Add.
    e. Add the extension of the required file and the MIME type in the Add MIME Type box, and then click OK.

I am a novice and would appreciate your support and patience in helping me to resolve this issue.

thank you in advance for your support.

Hank Laskin

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:05 AM

Answers

• User844605415 posted

So it looks like you don't have IIS7's ASP feature installed. To install it:

Start -> Run -> appwiz.cpl -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> ASP (check it and then click OK)

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:55 PM

All replies

• User844605415 posted

What kind(ASP.NET, classic ASP etc) of application is this? For example if this is an ASP.NET application make sure that IIS7's ASP.NET feature is installed.

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

Saturday, September 6, 2008 12:24 AM
  • User-790764021 posted

mukhtard,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

The address of the program I am attempting to open and work on my computer is:

http://localhost/web-link/login.asp

As mentioned in my earlier request, I am a novice at IIS and would really appreciate a step by step instruction as to how I can make sure that IIS7's feature is installed.  Also, if I find by your instructions that it is not installed, please instruct me as to how to do this.

Thak you again in advance for your assistance and support.

Hank Laskin

Saturday, September 6, 2008 2:38 PM
  • User844605415 posted

mukhtard,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

The address of the program I am attempting to open and work on my computer is:

http://localhost/web-link/login.asp

As mentioned in my earlier request, I am a novice at IIS and would really appreciate a step by step instruction as to how I can make sure that IIS7's feature is installed.  Also, if I find by your instructions that it is not installed, please instruct me as to how to do this.

Thak you again in advance for your assistance and support.

Hank Laskin

Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:51 PM
  • User844605415 posted

So it looks like you don't have IIS7's ASP feature installed. To install it:

Start -> Run -> appwiz.cpl -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Internet Information Services -> World Wide Web Services -> Application Development Features -> ASP (check it and then click OK)

Thanks,
    Mukhtar Desai
    IIS Performance Team

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 5:55 PM
  • User-790764021 posted

Mukhtar,

You hit the nail right on the head.  That is exactly what the problem was.  I really appreciate you very clear and detailed explanation.  It was a breeze.

Thank you so very much for taking the time and giving me your support.

Hank Laskin

Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:52 AM
  • User-816499763 posted
    i am getting the same thing but the only difference is i am trying to open a .cfm coldfusion file.im trying to get a coldfusion site working on my hosting but i cant.can you help me too mukhtard?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:17 AM
  • User1775695863 posted
    Great post! Another nail hit straight on the head :-) Thanks!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 6:20 AM
  • User445506473 posted

Hi I have II7 enabled and I am running WCF service.

I have configured it making windows and asp.application mode enabled.

but I get following error message

The page you are requesting cannot be served because of the extension configuration. If the page is a script, add a handler. If the file should be downloaded, add a MIME map.

What is missing

I am trying to run everything locally. I have WCF servoce.

Friday, February 19, 2010 5:54 PM
  • User1829774381 posted

It's indeed great post which i was looking from week.

shah

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 4:00 AM
  • User837036605 posted

Thanks. My problem was that.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 9:44 AM
  • User780747987 posted

I'm having this issue trying get IIS7 to serve up html files.

I have this in the applicationHost.config file <add name="StaticFile" path="*" verb="*" type="" modules="StaticFileModule,DefaultDocumentModule,DirectoryListingModule" scriptProcessor="" resourceType="Either" requireAccess="Read" preCondition="" /> at the end of the handlers node.

<modules>
                    <add name="HttpCacheModule" lockItem="true" />
                    <add name="IsapiFilterModule" lockItem="true" />
                    <add name="ProtocolSupportModule" lockItem="true" />
                    <add name="DefaultDocumentModule" lockItem="true" />
                    <add name="DirectoryListingModule" lockItem="true" />
                    <add name="StaticFileModule" lockItem="true" />

</modules>

Finally...

<globalModules>
                <add  name="DefaultDocumentModule"  image="%windir%\system32\inetsrv\defdoc.dll"  />
                <add name="DirectoryListingModule" image="%windir%\system32\inetsrv\dirlist.dll" />
                <add name="StaticFileModule" image="%windir%\system32\inetsrv\static.dll" />

</globalModules>

So far *.aspx files are working fine.

TIA,

sm

Friday, June 4, 2010 1:17 AM
  • User780747987 posted

RESOLVED

Here's what I had to do (in case anyone else runs into the same issue)

1.  Replaced "applicationHost.config" file in "C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config" with "applicationhost.config.clean.install" found in the same folder and renaming it to "applicationhost.config".  This immediately made the htm, js, image files work but now my aspx files were not being served.

2.  Uninstalled "aspnet_regiis.exe -u" and reinstalled it "aspnet_regiis.exe - i".  Now both html, js, images and aspx files are working.

NOTE:  Although I have up to .NET Framework 3.5 aspnet_regiis.exe that I used was in "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727" folder.

In think in the end the cause all of this was most likely my own.  Prior to realizing I needed to configure ASP.NET in IIS using aspnet_regiis I might have made some harmful modifications to the "applicationHost.config".

Friday, June 4, 2010 2:41 PM
  • User1388942782 posted

Hello

I also got the 404.3

<FIELDSET>

<FIELDSET><LEGEND>Detailed Error Information</LEGEND>
    Module StaticFileModule
    Notification ExecuteRequestHandler
    Handler StaticFile
    Error Code 0x80070032
    Requested URL https://secc2259.hm.com:443/index.exp
    Physical Path D:\Program Files\Foundstone\Portal\index.exp
    Logon Method Anonymous
    Logon User Anonymous
    </FIELDSET>

I am using a application falled foundstone upon IIS 7.5.
    All the feturesd are enable both CGI and ASP dot nr, Also tried the reinstallation of .net windows communcation foundation and the asp 2.0. posted in the fix above.

NO luck , stil got the same problem. Seems like there is a handler missing, how can i add one?

best regards
    //Magnus N

</FIELDSET>
    Monday, December 13, 2010 10:53 AM
  • User1388942782 posted

I solved the Issue by adding a handler on this. Now i got another problem.

I added .exp to be used by the iasapimodule and the asp.dll now no faulty message is displayed but a file is extracted called SSOHandler.exp that is a encoded HEX file. any ides?

1&&$__id[1]==':'){$__id=str_replace('\\','/',substr($__id,2));$__here=str_replace('\\','/',substr($__here,2));}$__rd=str_repeat('/..',substr_count($__id,'/')).$__here.'/';$__i=strlen($__rd);while($__i--){if($__rd[$__i]=='/'){$__lp=substr($__rd,0,$__i).$__ln;if(file_exists($__oid.$__lp)){$__ln=$__lp;break;}}}@dl($__ln);}else{die('The file '.__FILE__." is corrupted.\n");}if(function_exists('_il_exec')){return _il_exec();}echo('Site error: the file '.__FILE__.' requires the ionCube PHP Loader '.basename($__ln).' to be installed by the site administrator.');exit(199); ?>

IM out of ideas if the .exp file wont be able to enturpit the code given to it. Any ideas?

//Magnus

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:42 AM
  • User-980544857 posted

Thanks a Lot Mukhtar it saved me !

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:55 AM
  • User-1557255527 posted

Is it Working Proparl way...

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 7:59 AM
  • User-132789948 posted

Thanks Mukhtar

Thursday, May 16, 2013 5:14 AM