.NET Default Trace vs Enterprise Logging Blocks RRS feed

• Question

• User619554136 posted

.NET Default Tracing itself provides a great way of writting logs. supports listerns, switches, priorities...etc. .NET 2.0 there is also a seperate Trace capabilities for Web based (ASP.NET).

then what is perpose of Enterprise Logging block over .NET default Tracing?

Sunday, February 7, 2010 3:05 PM

Answers

• User220959680 posted

what is perpose of Enterprise Logging block over .NET default Tracing?

Enterprise Library:

Logging applicaiton block allows you to simply configure and log any type of data(Events, Exceptions, Events data or any other data you wish to log from your application). It allows to simply configure and log to desired location as

• Log file
    • Email (configure to send an email msg)
    • Database( using provided script it is quite easier to deploy the database and start logging)
    • Windows Events
    • and custom locations

In simple words 'It is readily available application block that allows a developer to customise and configure to Log valuable data to desired locations with simple configurations.

.NET Default Trace

It is quite feasible to utilise available .NET Trace methods with properties to log data. But when it comes to logging data other than Windows Events it demands more plumbling. You got to write your code to log data into desired locations such as Database / Email / Log files.

Being said the above using ASP.NET HealthMonitoring configuration it is feasible to log ASP.NET web application events (to monitor various events of web application) as explained by Chris Pels in this video tutorial

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-195.aspx

Conclusion:-

Enterprise Library application blocks are reusable software components to meet day to day application requirements. Even though it is feasible to utilise .NET Default Tracing, you got to implement lot more work flow when you want to log information other than windows events.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:33 PM

All replies

• User220959680 posted

what is perpose of Enterprise Logging block over .NET default Tracing?

Enterprise Library:

Logging applicaiton block allows you to simply configure and log any type of data(Events, Exceptions, Events data or any other data you wish to log from your application). It allows to simply configure and log to desired location as

• Log file
    • Email (configure to send an email msg)
    • Database( using provided script it is quite easier to deploy the database and start logging)
    • Windows Events
    • and custom locations

In simple words 'It is readily available application block that allows a developer to customise and configure to Log valuable data to desired locations with simple configurations.

.NET Default Trace

It is quite feasible to utilise available .NET Trace methods with properties to log data. But when it comes to logging data other than Windows Events it demands more plumbling. You got to write your code to log data into desired locations such as Database / Email / Log files.

Being said the above using ASP.NET HealthMonitoring configuration it is feasible to log ASP.NET web application events (to monitor various events of web application) as explained by Chris Pels in this video tutorial

http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-195.aspx

Conclusion:-

Enterprise Library application blocks are reusable software components to meet day to day application requirements. Even though it is feasible to utilise .NET Default Tracing, you got to implement lot more work flow when you want to log information other than windows events.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 4:33 PM
  • User619554136 posted

Hi Sukumar, Thanks for spending your time to explain the differeces in deail. I have read your exception/Logging blog post. it's good. There are some queries I have on that. I shall send you a priave message. Thanks a lot again.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:51 AM
  • User220959680 posted

I have read your exception/Logging blog post. it's good. There are some queries I have on that. I shall send you a priave message.

Let you know that my article Enterprise Libary:Exception Handling block  is published as Article of the Day on www.asp.net home page.

You will see under 'Article of the Day' on right hand side.

Feel free to shoot any queries through my blog article page(you will find on www.asp.net home page, as explained above).

I would not be able to respond to any private messages until and unless i have really some free time to spare. I appreciate receiving your queries through blog posting.

http://www.asp.net/community/articles/rss.ashx

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:02 AM
  • User619554136 posted

Hi Sukumar,

Yes, I have seen. That's good. asking this is not relevent here. but curious to know how to submit/nominate our articles to www.asp.net site to them selected to display in home page. If you think answering this question here in this thread is not good, please reply me to my mail duttavr@gmail.com

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:17 AM
  • User619554136 posted

I am sorry to distube you. I could see a link there. Thanks.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 5:19 AM