none
Feature Requests (Post your idea and scenario here) RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are very serious about your idea and scenario. Please use this post and add your feature request and scenario for future releases.  Thanks.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:37 PM

All replies

• Resource Monitor: Ability to set a longer time interval

Provided by Mitjah.

Scenario:

I would like to set longer intervals. I came to this idea while I was exploring the new Resource Monitor and my antivirus program started the scheduled virus check. The virus check lasted about 10 minutes, but I couldn't get the "real" average CPU value for the complete task. I think having longer intervals would be great for benchmarking.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:31 PM
  • Hi Kukjin,

We spoke about this offline at MS.

I like what you are doing with Resource Monitor in Windows 7. Personally, I would like to see it evolve to the point where I would not need to load external tools like Process Explorer.  One thing that PE has that I would like to see in RM is a tree view of processes showing parent-child relationships.  This would be helpful because sometimes it is nice to see what process/service spawned another process at a glance. 

Also, the handle view is nice, but I noticed today that handles to other processes are not in the list.  Is there a reason for this?  (See my posted question on Windows Perfmon and Diagnostic Tools on this topic for an example.)

Thanks!
    J
    Friday, April 3, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Please enable Comma’s on by default.  So I do not have to apply http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300884/  every time I switch machines or lose my profile

Add a toggle button for High Density Charts so I do not have to reload perfmon to see/remove vertical lines as in http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=283110

Thanks Bruce

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 2:03 PM

• Pool usage data gathering (including tags) so that you can chart them along with other performance data!
    martin
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:04 PM
  •  

I see I have overlooked a check box in vista's .  We can toggle on and off comma's.

On the appearance tab of performance monitor properties there is a check box at the bottom of the screen which will do this.

Bruce

Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:26 PM
  • logman's mmddhhmm datestamp: add yyyy to it!

Monday, July 6, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Thats an interesting idea. We can think of a performance counter that shows pool usage, whose instance names are tag names. Resource Monitor could expose the counter in the UI.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Not sure if Windows 7 has this capability but it would be great if you can save "Search Results" performed within file manager.  (not save the actual documents, therefore, duplicating documents but rather a view of the search result.  I work for a major global Bank and often find myself searching for documents.  I find what I'm looking for then close out of the search result and move on...then later I realize I need to run the same search again.  FYI - a typical search time can be 10 minutes or more due to drive size and number of directories, etc...  The firm is on XP Pro.  If this capability exists, please let me know so I can take advantage of it.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Didn't check on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, etc. but if not done already, would be nice to make the Microsoft Management Console settings files (*.msc) be in XML or some text based form so that it can easily be configured and edited with a text editor than having to do the config changes in the respective management console.

For example, to customize Perfmon results reporting (graph or text report), you have to customize it in PerfMon and save settings as fileName.msc. Then you can launch MSC file to open up PerfMon with those settings.

But it's inefficient when you just want to add/remove one counter or you want to add same set of current counters but for one or more additional remote machines to monitor. Now you have to go through Perfmon and add the counters step by step and that process is sometimes quite slow in PerfMon. This could be done much faster with say a text search & replace if the settings file was in a text format.

You can export PerfMon log settings to HTML (or XML in Vista onwards) and modify that and then reimport or import as needed, but that only works for counter logs, not for PerfMon management console settings.

And too bad there is no command line interface to Perfmon reporting like there is for perfmon logging (logman.exe, relog.exe, and my favorite - typeperf.exe). On a side note, I find typeperf.exe with counter list files far easier to start/stop & manage on the fly than PerfMon or logman.exe with a counter log configuration.

• Edited by daluu Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:30 PM clarification
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:25 PM
  • 1) Provide an Unzoom option.

2) Provide a way to import a counter list. Right now I can paste one, but how do I get it into the paste buffer? Neither the Data Collector set nor the User Reports let you copy the counters to the clipboard.

3) Provide a way to make the colors semi-transparent, so you can see data behind other data.

Thanks for listening!

Saturday, December 4, 2010 12:17 AM
  • Perfmon should be able to monitor & report each Hard Drive 's temperature (thorouthly missing  but easy to check), current spin status (ON / OFF) and RPM (spec based or variable ,as some green models can adjust RPM depending on workload or Power Settings). 
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:10 PM