none
.Net 2.0 vs 3.0 vs 3.5 general distribution stats? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to decide what version of .NET to use for a new project I am about to start. I was wondering what, if any, stats there are about the number of distributions currently out there for .NET 2.0, 3.0, 3.5?

The reason I ask is simple...If they download my app, it'll require that they have the version I developed on. I would like to avoid the inconvenience of downloading and installing .NET in addition to my app. So, I'm going to be more apt to develop in a version that they are more likely to have...I'm guessing that 2.0 will be the most common, but I wanted to know how close 3.0 and 3.5 are to being as widely distributed...there are obvious features in 3.0 and 3.5 that I'd love to use but can live without if it means easier installs...

In addition to stats (which I'm sure only someone from MS can provide), anyone have an opinion, or run into this similar dilemma and have advice for me?

Thanks

Friday, July 11, 2008 5:21 AM

Answers

• Actually the 3.5 Redist is 200 megs not 20 so yes you either package it with your code or your users need to upgrade before your application.  So if you don't need any of the new features you can use 2.0.
    Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:23 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:13 PM

All replies

• If you are starting your project new it is best to target 3.5 because both 3.0 and 3.5 are just features and plaforms add to .NET 2.0.  The CLR(common language runtime) is still 2.0 but 3.0 introduced WPF, WCF and WWF and 3.5 gave use AJAX, Silverlight, LINQ and Entity Framework and others.  Post again if you still have questions.

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:05 PM
  • my question, though, is if I go with 3.5, most people out there are going to have to download/upgrade to 3.5 prior to installing my app, right? I don't want to include 20 megs worth of .NET stuff with my 2mb app...
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:09 PM
  • Actually the 3.5 Redist is 200 megs not 20 so yes you either package it with your code or your users need to upgrade before your application.  So if you don't need any of the new features you can use 2.0.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Thursday, July 17, 2008 3:23 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 6:13 PM