established connection failed error during copy activity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I have created dozens of pipelines that all do similar things in my v2 Azure Data Factory. These pipelines connect out to an on-prem server, extracts the data, and writes them to files in an Azure Blob storage. This is all done in a foreach activity on each pipeline.

Each pipeline was created using the ADF UI, is for a different on-prem SQL Server, and the data is written out to different files within the same container and same folder.

This hasn't been a problem until recently. Starting on June 27th, and for every night since,  one or two of the pipelines fail on a single copy within the foreach loop. Each time it's always the same error, but every night it's almost always a different pipeline and different item in the foreach loop.

I'm stumped as to the cause, but the error is:

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 104.45.140.139:443"

The IP address is always the same.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what may be going on?

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hey Matt, 

1. Could you please check if there is any maintenance activity going on in On-Prem SQL Server? 

2. As you might be using Self Hosted Integration Runtime(SHIR), is there any update going on that ground ?

3. There can be other jobs running at same time in SQL Server, reducing the resource availability, that might cause failure too.

4. If those processes/activities are running in parallel, SHIR might be running out of memory/bandwidth. 

Thanks,

Amit

Thursday, July 4, 2019 12:14 PM
  • The error does not help much . If I were you I could have looked into the IR logs . As its appears its seems the IR is having issues and you should have more info on the logs . Also capturing the performance metrics on the IR server will help .

Also as a short term solution please enable the retry option on the Copy activity as I think it should help .

Please do let us know how it goes .

Thanks Himanshu

Friday, July 5, 2019 4:19 PM
  • Good idea, I will review the logs.

Monday, July 8, 2019 12:29 PM
  • No errors but his warning is spammed around the time of the process: Odd that it would only cause one copy activity to fail in my loop.

'Type=Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.StorageException,Message=The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.,Source=Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage,StackTrace=   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.Core.Executor.Executor.ExecuteSync[T](RESTCommand`1 cmd, IRetryPolicy policy, OperationContext operationContext)
       at Microsoft.DataTransfer.Runtime.AzureBlobProfiler.GetProfileForBlob(IList`1 fieldList),''Type=System.Net.WebException,Message=The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found.,Source=System,StackTrace=   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Storage.Core.Executor.Executor.ExecuteSync[T](RESTCommand`1 cmd, IRetryPolicy policy, OperationContext operationContext),'
    Job ID: 5d67f4c4-0bfd-642b-4c37-1963bf79e92e
    Log ID: Warning

It looks like the issue is trying to connect out to my Azure Blob Storage account, but I am not sure how I can resolve this and why it just started to occur.

Monday, July 8, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Its a 404 error , which means that the "resource not found" and you mentioned that the failures happens for different resources/ servers . Just in case if you the retry and retry interval didn't helped , I will put a wait activity inside the foreach loop and see if that helps . In any case  i think this needs some thorough investigation and if you have a support plan , please go ahead and reach out to the support team otherwise please send an email to azcommunity@microsoft.com  with the following details .
    1. Your subscription id
    2. Link to this thread  .

Thanks Himanshu

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 2:08 AM