TDE stuck in 2 (encryption in progress) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm doing some tests with TDE, but TDE is always stuck in state 2 (encryption in progress).

Even in a simple test, creating a new database with a single table, TDE is stuck in state 2.

I created the server master key, server certificate, database encryption key and set encryption on.

The SQL Server log only shows two messages, the start and the abort of the encryption.

Database encryption scan for database 'TestTDE' was aborted. Reissue ALTER DB to resume the scan.

Of course I tried to reissue the alter db statement, but the result is the same.

What else can I try ?

Thank you !

Dennes [http://bufaloinfo.cloudapp.net] Inscreva-se em meu treinamento on-line de T-SQL - [http://bufaloinfo.cloudapp.net/Cursos/linguagemsql.aspx]

Saturday, September 3, 2016 8:38 AM

Answers

• You need to "cycle the transaction log" so that you don't have any non-encrypted log records in the log anymore. In simple recovery, execute the CHECKPOINT command from within the database. In other recovery models, perform a backup of the transaction log.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Monday, September 5, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennes,

Have you tried DBCC CHECKDB WITH NO_INFOMSGS see if it reports any error? If a database have corrupted page, the database encryption scan will never completed and you would see exact same error message in SQL Server log. It’s also possible that something is wrong with your storage device, in this case, I would suggest you create your testdb on another disk/volume see if the issue persists.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin
    Monday, September 5, 2016 9:57 AM
  • You need to "cycle the transaction log" so that you don't have any non-encrypted log records in the log anymore. In simple recovery, execute the CHECKPOINT command from within the database. In other recovery models, perform a backup of the transaction log.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Monday, September 5, 2016 6:56 PM