none
looking to improve efficency or finding a different control RRS feed

• Question

• This question mainly has to deal with web forms.   Let's say I want the user to select from a combobox-type control (which I'll explain in a bit) and let the user choose from 8000 different options.   First of all, we have our own custom control that consits of a text box and a list box that shows up underneath which acts as a combobox.   To eliminate a huge performance hit on the browser, we load all 8000 items on startup into Javascript arrays.   After that, when the user types a single letter, results with that starting character are displayed in the listbox and so on.

What I'm interested in is a little better architecture of this problem.  Hopefully I've explained it in a way that you understand, but if not, then let me know.  Also, if this is not the right forum to post, let me know and I'll delete it.

So, is there some kind of web control (pre-built) that allows the same thing which is more elegant and cross browser friendly?  Also, is there anything we can do to improve the efficency of loading all the information?

Thanks.
    Monday, July 10, 2006 10:48 PM

Answers

All replies