none
Outlook 2016 AddIn language issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have developed an AddIn for Outlook 2016 which is working fine except of one point:

The language (here German) is not working for cases which I don't understand. So when my colleagues install the AddIn, the language is German. When I install the same Setup, the language is English.

We all have German OS Win10 and Office 2016 installed. I have checked the language settings in Outlook which only know German language. I have also checked the install path of AddIn and could find German resource DLL exists under %ProgramFiles%\[MyAddInName]\de-DE\[MyAddInName].resources.dll

I also debugged and checked the CurrentUICulture:

In overridden BeginInit() method from AddInBase class (which gets invoked first) the CurrentUICulture was de-DE. In Startup() method (which gets invoked from auto-generated InternalStartup() method in the [MyAddIn].designer.cs) the CurrentUICulture is en-US even though it is not overwritten by my code...

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Manu

Thursday, December 7, 2017 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hello Manu,

How do you deploy the add-in? Do you specify publish language when you deploy the add-in? Could you reproduce the issue using other projects like windows form applications? Could you reproduce the issue with a new created empty add-in? 

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

thanks for your reply!

The add-in is built by jenkins and is deployed as a setup exe file to my colleagues. The solution consists of three projects (add-in, wix-setup, C# project to build setup.exe). I do not specify publish language when the add-in is deployed. How can I specify? The only thing I tried, is to set the CurrentUICulture depending on the outlook language.

We have another WPF project where the language settings work fine. So here, the issue is not reproducible. I did not try to reproduce the issue with a new created empty add-in. The problem is that it's not easy to integrate the add-in in outlook not using a setup...

In the wix setup the German language and its resource file is specified as follows:

<Component Id="LocalizationDE" Guid="9951DB3B-3965-4391-A3D2-173A2AEE7F61" Directory="LocalizationFolderDE">
            <File Source="$(var.SourcePath)\de-DE\MyAddIn.resources.dll"/>
          </Component>

The resource file exists in the installation folder, so the German resource strings should be available for the add-in in my opinion. The fact, that the add-in uses the German language on my colleagues' PCs lets me think about different settings or maybe a win10 update that forces such behavior...

Regards,

Manu

• Edited by Manu Wedel Friday, December 8, 2017 7:45 AM
    Friday, December 8, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Thanks for the information. Wix is a third party software, we are not familiar with it, we do not support third party software and sorry that we are unable to install the third party software to have a test. 

Do you try to deploy the add-in using ClickOnce? If it is fine using ClickOnce deployment, I think the issue causes from Wix. If it still uses different languages when you deploy by ClickOnce, you may compare OS, VS and Office. You may also try to copy the whole project to another machine, build the setup, install on the two machines and see if it make any difference.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 9:47 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

thanks for your reply!

Too bad that you don't support wix because as I remember this was once a Microsoft product.

Please tell me how to integrate the AddIn into Outlook using ClickOnce?

Best regards,

Manu

Monday, December 11, 2017 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

You could right click the project, select Publish, specify the location and click Finish, you could get the setup.exe. To install the add-in on other computers, please copy the whole folders including Application Files folder, .vsto file and setup.exe.

Please visit Deploying an Office Solution by Using ClickOnce for detail steps.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 11, 2017 8:09 AM
  • Hello,

thanks a lot for your explanation! After successfully deploying using ClickOnce, the language issue still occurs on my PC. I will try to install this ClickOnce setup on another PC but I don't think the PCs here are different regarding OS, VS and Office because they are deployed by the company.

I will post an result as soon as I will have tested it.

Regards,

Manu

Monday, December 11, 2017 2:23 PM
  • Hello,

Any updates? Since the issue still occurs on your PC when deploying using ClickOnce, so I think some settings may be wrong on your PC. I suggest test with a new user account and try to repair or re-install Office. If it still does not work, I think you may re-install your OS.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:01 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

I also suppose that there is a problem with the settings. I tried to repair Office as well but without success. The language issue still occurs. Re-installing Office or the OS is unfortunately not an option.

We will no longer try to rectify the language issue.

You can close the thread.

Thanks for your support!

Regards,

Manu

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:21 AM