Excel - VSTO - start screen blocks new workbook RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When you add a workbook programmatically via an VSTO addin, Excel will NOT show it. This is since a newer update (not sure which one exactly).

Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a new VSTO addin

2) Put this code into the Addin startup: (make sure you have a .xltx at this file location)

private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
    {
         Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.Workbooks.Add(@"C:\temp\excel template.xltx");
    }

3) compile and register the addin

4) Open newest Excel (I used Excel 2019 (16.0.11231.20164) 64-bit)

5) The start screen is shown, but the opened workbook is never shown. You can see in task manager that the workbook is opened, but there's no way around the start screen. When you select "Blank document" from start screen, you will get a blank document and the added workbook is then shown.

When i Install Excel 2019 from the ISO (without any updates) this still works, and all older Excel also don't behave like that, which means that the workbook is immediately shown.

Is this supposed to be like that? Is there a way around this?

As a workaround i can disable the start screen, but it should also work with start screen enabled i think...

Monday, March 4, 2019 3:47 PM

All replies

• Hey Markus, hope u r well. 

was trying to do the same thing. Didn't find (yet) the equivalent of the VSTO code to pass by the startup screen, but you can configure Excel not to show this startup screen, see https://support.office.com/en-us/article/turn-off-the-start-screen-1f2834b4-09d4-490d-9c04-5d9f1b25ff70.

Hope it helps!  

Raf

Wednesday, December 25, 2019 2:43 PM