Combining ClickOnce and MSI Installer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been surprised by the gap there is between ClickOnce and MSI. And I need to solve this.

The scenario is this: Install a windows form application on a client (registry values, files, folder creation) and use ClickOnce to just update the application.

Any GOOD documents about it???

Thanks!!!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:09 AM

Answers

• OK. Let me try to explain:

1.- You will need to create an Installation project (MSI) and finally get your app.msi file.

2.- Need to download the Bootstrapper SDK which contains the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator (http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=ddb4f08c-7d7c-4f44-a009-ea19fc812545)

3.- Now you need to create a Package Manifest.

3.1 – need to add the MSI you just generated.

3.2 – Follow other instructions in the documentation provided in the Bootstrapper SDK

Once you build this package, it will create a package in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages

(NOTE: once this is created, open the package.xml and add the “{“ and “}” to the application GUID. It is a bug I found)

4.- This package will be available in the “Prerequisites” option under the Publish tab in the project designer. (as well as others like: MDAC, Crystal reports, etc)

5.- Select the new package as Prerequisite and then publish your application. 

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:44 PM

All replies

• I'm interested in this topic too. Any solution?
    Monday, May 15, 2006 4:03 PM
  • You cannot update a Windows Installer (MSI) installation using ClickOnce. Instead you should use a patch (MSP).
    Tuesday, May 16, 2006 10:55 AM
  • Hi... thanks for the response.

What I mean is that the msi will create registry values, and folders, and by using ClickOnce the application itself will be automatically updated.

By the way... I have solve it and It woooooorks!! Just needed to create a bootstrapper manifest and wrap the msi as a prerequiste!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 4:19 PM
  • I am very interested in this and I have looked everywhere but I can't seem to find an example or any documentation on how to do this.  Please let us know how you got it to work so that there is a reference for anyone else who has this problem too.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 6:35 PM
  • OK. Let me try to explain:

1.- You will need to create an Installation project (MSI) and finally get your app.msi file.

2.- Need to download the Bootstrapper SDK which contains the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator (http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/workspace.aspx?id=ddb4f08c-7d7c-4f44-a009-ea19fc812545)

3.- Now you need to create a Package Manifest.

3.1 – need to add the MSI you just generated.

3.2 – Follow other instructions in the documentation provided in the Bootstrapper SDK

Once you build this package, it will create a package in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages

(NOTE: once this is created, open the package.xml and add the “{“ and “}” to the application GUID. It is a bug I found)

4.- This package will be available in the “Prerequisites” option under the Publish tab in the project designer. (as well as others like: MDAC, Crystal reports, etc)

5.- Select the new package as Prerequisite and then publish your application. 

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:44 PM
  • This is of great help. Thanks!
    Friday, July 7, 2006 2:59 PM
  • Hi, I was wonder how to install the Bootstrapper gererator. I clicked your link and connect to the publish page.  When I clicked on install, it let me download to my computer.  Then I click setup.exe and nothing happenes.  Could you tell me how to install this generator and how to use it?

Thanks

dgao

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:09 PM
  • I finally found where the generator's msi file is:

http://www.gotdotnet.com/workspaces/messageboard/thread.aspx?id=ddb4f08c-7d7c-4f44-a009-ea19fc812545&threadid=517aabf9-4e18-4888-b151-81228d02402c
    • Proposed as answer by Kis Róbert Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:18 AM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:54 PM
  • Bootstrapper package which encapsulate the application's MSI will install the application when the setup is run at the first time. How are we going to manage the updates after that? Has anybody worked on it?

Can my application (which is installed using the MSI) use ApplicationDeployment API and download the updates?

Thursday, May 17, 2007 11:52 AM
  • I´m also interested in this. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:22 AM
  • ClickOnce updates by replacing individual files of your application. But Windows Installer (MSI) keeps track of your files, and it doesn't know about ClickOnce. If you replace files of an application that was installed using .msi (either manually or using ClickOnce) this can cause problems. Therefore, like I mentioned before, you cannot update a MSI installation using ClickOnce. Instead you should use a patch (.msp).

There are several programs that you can use to either notify your users that a new patch is available, or have your application check for updates, and even download and install the patch automatically. I have listed some of them at http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/tt_patch.htm

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:47 AM
  • The location of the Bootstrapper Manifest Generator changed to:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/bmg/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=1569

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 8:45 PM