Sharepoint Designer Fox Pro Connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

i am trying to create a database connection to a visual foxpro database from within sharepoint designer.

I click on Data Sources then database connection, then configure database connection, i then click the check box for Custom Connection String and add the following string

Driver={Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver};SourceType=DBC;SourceDB=\\10.0.0.30\Server VFP Static and Dynamic\L Data\comp_l.dbc;Exclusive=No; NULL=NO;Collate=Machine;BACKGROUNDFETCH=NO;DELETED=NO;Provider=vfpoledb if i then click ok i get the following error

"Server error: an error occurred while retrieving the list of Database from ABC: The web server cannot connect to the specified data source because the query may contain errors, the data source may be unavailable or configured improperly, or your Web site is behind a proxy server or firewall.

any idears on this

john
    Friday, July 1, 2011 2:02 PM

Answers

• Hi pepps1976,

1.       Please make sure you have ODBC Driver for FoxPro installed on SharePoint Server and the computer you use to run SharePoint Designer.

2.       How about add the data source with Data Connection wizard? Or test the connection string in Excel as Rashu suggested.

3.       Jing Wa has provided a good guideline to connect to a certain database using a System DSN or a File DSN with SharePoint 2007.
    Please check out this similar thread.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/c4498148-9c8e-480c-8988-c8a963c68c7c

Best regards,
    Emir Liu
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support
    , contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 11, 2011 3:45 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:26 AM

All replies

• Hi,

have you verified that your query is correct to connect? have you tried the same query from any other tool as well? Is it working over there?

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, July 1, 2011 7:10 PM
  • Hi pepps1976,

1.       Please make sure you have ODBC Driver for FoxPro installed on SharePoint Server and the computer you use to run SharePoint Designer.

2.       How about add the data source with Data Connection wizard? Or test the connection string in Excel as Rashu suggested.

3.       Jing Wa has provided a good guideline to connect to a certain database using a System DSN or a File DSN with SharePoint 2007.
    Please check out this similar thread.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointcustomization/thread/c4498148-9c8e-480c-8988-c8a963c68c7c

Best regards,
    Emir Liu
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support
    , contact
    tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Monday, July 11, 2011 3:45 AM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 4:26 AM
  • thanks for the info i will try the steps and let you know how things go

john

Thursday, July 7, 2011 7:08 PM