Silverlight Out of browser displays white screen RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a silverlight application which runs in out of browser mode. While opening the application sometimes it lunches the blank screen which is stopping us to proceed further, once this happens none of the silverlight application "out of browser" launches and other SL applications is also showing blank screen. Once we re-install the silverlight in the client machine, the application starts working. and we have set the silverlight settings not to take any latest update, but this problem occurs very frequently.

Though reinstalling the silverlight will solve the problem but it don't look like right way to over come from this problem. moreover, we cannot go to each client machine to do the same.

Please provide a right solution to over come from this problem, if you have come across.

Note: We are facing this problem more frequently starting from last week

Thanks,

Kavitha V

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Kavitha V,

According to your description, this problem occurs randomly and after reinstalling the Silverlight can fixed this issue. Is this issue occurs on all client machine or some specific client machine?

If occurs on all client machine, please check whether you are using any third part packages for your Silverlight application. Please create a default application without any third part packages to confirm this issue is not caused by third part packages.

If just some specific client machine have this issue, please check whether these machines installed any other programs which will damage the Silverlight installation, such as antivirus.

In addition, the latest version of Silverlight is 5.1.50428. Please try install the latest version of Silverlight to check whether this problem can be fixed.

https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/locale/en-us/html/Microsoft%20Silverlight%20Release%20History.htm

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:25 AM
  • We are also having this problem with multiple users.  We are already on the latest version of Silverlight (5.1.50428).  Re-installing Silverlight seems to fix it temporarily, but the problem reoccurs in a few minutes to hours.  Has there been a new Silverlight update?  Could any other updates be affecting Silverlight? The only update that has been installed in the past few days are "Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection".  Could that be an issue?
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hi Eileen Steffen,

The 5.1.50428 is the latest version of Silverlight at present.

Please confirm whether the OOB application works fine before and occurs this issue recently. Then please open the Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates to check whether installed the same updates on these machines.

And then please tell me which Windows version of these machine and which updates installed on these machine. I will build a VM based on the Windows version and installed updates to reproduce this issue in my side.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 2:05 AM
  • I am also experiencing this issue as of the 6/27/16 update to Silverlight. I have an OOB application running on windows 10/ IE that is showing the all white screen. The application is working in windows 7. I cannot see the update in the windows update history of programs and features to roll back.

Thanks!

Mike

Thursday, July 7, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Yes, this OOB app worked fine before.  The problem occurred on my client machine on July 1, 2016 and has happened to other co-workers this week (on July 5 and 6).  Here are the updates that are on at least 2 of the machines with issues.  One is running Windows 7 Enterprise and one is Windows 7 ultimate, but we have seen it on Windows 8.1 too.   

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.610.0)

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.517.0)

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.469.0)

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.394.0)

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.191.0)

Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection - KB2461484 (Definition 1.225.81.0)

Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Hi Mike,

I update my Silverlight to version to 5.1.50428 and create a sample Silverlight application with some default controls. Then I publish this application and install the OOB application on my Windows 10 machine with IE 11. Everything works fine. The OOB application can show correctly.

If possible, please provide a simple sample Silverlight application and I will test the sample project in my side to check whether this issue related to something in the project.

In addition, since this issue is occurs after upgrading Silverlight to latest version, please roll back the Silverlight version to confirm whether this issue caused by the update.

@Eilleen Steffen,

Please try uninstall the KB Update from View Installed Updates to confirm whether this issue caused by this update. And since this KB is for Microsoft antimalware and antispyware software, I don't have this software installed on my machine, I will try install one and try again to check whether it is the reason.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, July 11, 2016 1:16 AM
  • We tried uninstalling the updates, and still experience the issue.  I have a very simple Silverlight app that experiences the issue. How can I get it to you? We would also like to try rolling back the Silverlight version.  Can you tell me how to roll back the Silverlight version?
    Monday, July 11, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Hi Eileen Steffen,

I have checked the View Installed Updates in Control Panel -> Programs and Features, the Silverlight update can be found in the installed list, but it could not be uninstall, which is different with other updates.

Please try upload your sample project to OneDrive and share a public link here, I will download and try it in my side. If you can't share a hyperlink, please share as a common text, I will copy it to browser manually.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 1:15 AM
  • I have uploaded our simple program here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmcGxP2vHLvugQkc4trMJelcdTMS Please note, this app works for a while, and then suddenly seems to stop working and gives the White Screen of Death.  We'd like to be able to debug sllauncher or find some log files to tell us what is happening.
    Tuesday, July 12, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Hi Eileen Steffen,

I have tested your application in my side, even though I have installed a Windows Defender and install the Definition Update for Microsoft Endpoint Protection, your project still works fine. I use it from morning to afternoon.

So I'm afraid that there has any problem on the computer environment. Please check the Windows Event Viewer, whether there has any information about your Silverlight application.

In addition, is this problem occurs after publishing or also occurs in Visual Studio. Please using Visual Studio to debug this application.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 4:58 AM
  • Make sure you try it after leaving it overnight.  It almost always fails when I first try it in the morning.

Yes, the problem occurs from Visual Studio or after publishing.

I'll check the Event Viewer.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:49 PM
  • Hi Eileen Steffen,

I have tried for several days and the application still working fine in my side.

Do you get any information from the Windows Event Viewer? Please share the log information here, which is benefit to us find out what happened on your machine.

I think the most possible reasons for this issue is the computer environment. Please try run your application on another clear machine which just installed a new Windows and latest version of Silverlight. Then please install other programs which is the same with your current machine one by one, which can help us confirm which program causes this issue.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, July 18, 2016 12:38 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

We are also facing the same issue from last one week in Windows 7 machines, when trying to access the SL OOB application it's calling the below links as per fiddler log in different machines. No impact for Windows 10 OS.

1) ocsp.digicert.com

2) adobesc.com

let us know the root cause. We are using latest SL version.

Regards

Rama Dwarapudi

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:46 PM
  • Are you using the EnableGPUAcceleration feature? After many hours of desperate research, I found out that disabling this option fixes random crashes on my Silverlight application.
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 7:47 AM