Security Credentials Delete Upon Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I am storing my log in credentials for my app in the windows security vault, but when I uninstall my app the credentials are still in the vault.

Currently this is a problem when I uninstall the app and re-install because it opens on a different page if the app has credentials stored in the vault.

How do I ensure that when the user uninstalls the app their credentials are deleted from the vault as well?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:35 PM

Answers

• I actually came up with a way to do it. It would make more sense that Windows 8 would clear the credentials that were created by the app when its uninstalled, but it is what it is.

I just tested my database to see if it had anything it. If it is empty, then I clear the vault in the following way upon launch of my app.

Windows.Security.Credentials.PasswordVault vault = new Windows.Security.Credentials.PasswordVault();
    IReadOnlyList<PasswordCredential> creds = vault.RetrieveAll();

foreach (PasswordCredential c in creds)
    {
            vault.Remove(c);

}

• Marked as answer by GodfatherSaint Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:10 PM

All replies

• You cannot.  An app does not get to run when it is uninstalled (it is simply uninstalled).  This has to be a manual step by the user if you wish to remove them.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:04 PM
  • I actually came up with a way to do it. It would make more sense that Windows 8 would clear the credentials that were created by the app when its uninstalled, but it is what it is.

I just tested my database to see if it had anything it. If it is empty, then I clear the vault in the following way upon launch of my app.

Windows.Security.Credentials.PasswordVault vault = new Windows.Security.Credentials.PasswordVault();
    IReadOnlyList<PasswordCredential> creds = vault.RetrieveAll();

foreach (PasswordCredential c in creds)
    {
            vault.Remove(c);

}

• Marked as answer by GodfatherSaint Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:28 PM
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 1:10 PM