BizTalk 2009 & SAP Business Warehouse (BW) integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a following scenarios where BizTalk has to integrate with SAP BW.

1. BizTalk has to get the data from SAP BW & expose to external systems.

2. SAP BW has to call BizTalk to get the data from external systems.

I am a new for BizTalk Adapter pack 2.0. My understanding from the articles is, BizTalk SAP adapter can communicate to SAP using RFC, iDocs, & BAPI's. SAP technical person said to me SAP BW is different thatn other components of SAP. There is only one way we identified is Web Services.

My doubt is, Is it possible to communicate to SAP BW using RFC/iDocs/BAPI?

Please suggest how BizTalk can communicate with SAP BW using SAP Adapter (or) any way to communicate with SAP BW.

Thanks,

Venkat.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 11:34 PM

Answers

•  

Thanks Hauth for giving the solution.

Regards,

Venkat.

Friday, July 9, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• I'm only aware of IDoc,RFC and BAPI  to communicate with Biztalk via SAP Adapter but there is a generic webservice available within the SAP BW which could be utilized to retrieve data. Please see SAP help for more details about this service

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/d8/3bfc3f8fc2c542e10000000a1550b0/content.htm

Regards,

i.ahmad Please mark this as an answer if it helps
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 12:46 AM
  •  

Thanks for your reply Ahmad.

We have a bulk data processing. Web Service may give performance problem.

Does it possible to communicate with SAP BW using SAP Adapter via RFC/iDocs/BAPI's?

Thanks,

Venkat.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 3:40 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is possible from SAP Biztalk Adapter but there are other ways to communicate with SAP BW as listed in the SAP BW documentation http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/14/80243b4a66ae0ce10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Also if your requirement is bulk data, you can think of using SSIS, for which there is Connector availbale from Microsoft to commuincate with SAP BW or can use for staging data some where in SQL and then processing via biztalk. For more details see here http://dougbert.com/blogs/dougbert/archive/2008/06/12/sap-and-sql-server-integration-services.aspx

Regards,

i.ahmad Please mark this as an answer if it helps
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:17 AM
  • In general a BW or BI system consists of the same ABAP stack like all other SAP system, but they got the BI package installed and not the ERP packages. So RFC / IDOC etc. will work perfectly from a technical point of view.

BUT: You might be missing the right IDOCs and remote functions.

As BI internally works with datacubes, process chains etc. it's logic is different than the ERP logic. Nevertheless it's still possible.

Regarding your questions:

1. BizTalk can call an RFC function that provides the data. Maybe the function has to be written by your SAP developers, maybe there is a generic one to use. But this depends and is hard to say without an example. Your SAP developers should be able to tell you in what way they can offer the data.

In this case webservice calls are also a valid method to use. As no data is processed within BI, it shouldn't become a performance issue.

2. You can call BizTalk from these technical frameworks: calling a rfc function and routing it to BizTalk, sending an IDOC to BizTalk (change pointer, by hand, mass send, etc.), SAP Business Workflow (one task is calling BizTalk), by webservice call or by a filedrop via exchange directory. So we implemented the following: The BI source is a RFC function in a ERP system. Implement the following:

a) Create a RFC function within BI that contains all data as parameters you'll need.

b) Within this function call the function again, but with DESTINATION parameter pointing to BizTalk

c) Consume this RFC function within Visual Studio and build the BizTalk solution around this XSD

d) Create a BI datacube that uses this function as data source

Should work fine. But again, everything is much more easy to explain when we got an example.

BTW: BI internally works with QRFC (queued RFC), but I never tried to get in between this communication.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://biztalk.hauth.me

Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:20 AM
  •  

Thanks Hauth for giving the solution.

Regards,

Venkat.

Friday, July 9, 2010 3:01 AM