none
UWP Apps (StickyNotes, Calc, Paint3D) Disappear over time when using FSLogix RRS feed

• Question

• On Windows 10 1803 and 1809 (non-persistent VDI) with a fresh FSLogix profile built-in UWP applications are in the user's start menu and launch correctly.  However, over time they disappear from the Start Menu and any attempt to launch them fails. 

Deleting/Recreating the FSLogix profile and logging back on restores them for a time being.  Is anyone else seeing this behavior and have a fix?

• Edited by JTGrego Friday, August 9, 2019 4:48 PM
    Friday, August 9, 2019 4:47 PM

All replies

• I don't recall seeing any issues recently of icons disappearing. although I have seen some hiding rules with unexpected consequences. 

First, I'd check to make sure that your version of windows is up-to-date. 

Second I'd check the same with FSLogix https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/install-ht

Finally check that your antivirus has FSLogix excluded. 

Ultimately if you're unable to determine the root cause of the issue, this would be a perfect time to create a ticket on the FSLogix portal. 

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/14ea5f6f-760b-4ad2-83cf-23c3cbc1bcc4/how-to-open-an-fslogix-support-request?forum=FSLogixindex.php/home

you can expect that support will request the output from this tool. 

Https://aka.ms/fslogix_support_tool

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:58 PM
  • Hi,

Since the profiles work for some amount of time, it very well could be Windows Updates that is the issue.

Can you verify if the affected users made their FSLogix profile running 1803 had the issue when  trying to login a 1809 device or if that is irrelevant and 1803 user have the issue on 1803 device?

Have you had to do your work around on the same user twice or after the first time the user does not have the issue again?

I agree with Anthony on the ticket submission part, it would be best to have this in a ticket.

Submit a ticket: Here

Support Tool: Here

Friday, August 9, 2019 10:59 PM
  • We have this issue and I have just raised a Premier Support Ticket

Exact same scenario - both 1803 and 1809 machines and then UWP go "missing". They are still provisioned apps within the Image but not visibile to the User.

Could it be related to using the same Profile Container across the different OS builds?

Monday, October 14, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Same issue, in our case it's definitely not related to using the same container across different OS builds.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Did you ever get this resolved?
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 7:13 PM
  • Did you get any response or resolution to this? Having the same issue.

If i run "calc" from a run prompt (win + r), it hangs for a few seconds, opens, and then it shows up in the start menu.

• Edited by clee_sers Monday, January 27, 2020 1:37 PM
    Monday, January 27, 2020 12:45 PM
  • I have a similar problem with StickyNotes. I think that's a general problem of FSLogix with UWP Apps.
    The UWP Apps are not available in the user context until the user start the app.
    A few month ago I opened a ticket. This is the answer from this week of the dev team:

"We are considering options on how to address this issue.  There are performance implications for addressing this item, so we are researching the best options, as well as best default state.  The earliest that we would expect a release that would address this is Calendar Q2 2020."

Monday, January 27, 2020 8:35 PM
  • Is there any update on this issue?

I am seeing similar issues with UWP apps "disappearing" using FSLogix in WVD (latest builds of everything).

This is causing headaches as some UWP apps, such as "Photos" are set as the default app.  We are having to change every default app to a Win32 app to avoid user frustration.

Friday, May 1, 2020 2:07 AM
  • I don't know if this is relevant, but we have seen this issue long before FSLogix was in place.

We use VMWare Horizon and after using the OSOT to optimise the image, we see that the apps are still there when an admin runs it, but as soon as it is provisioned (Using instant clones) and a standard user logs on, these apps can no longer be run. Though logging on as a local admin they are still there.

It may have something to do with stopping any Windows Store activity. Like shutting down all services that are related to it. I cannot put my finger on the exact source of it, but maybe likely the cause that we are seeing. Or something to do with the way profiles are managed in shared environments (as we used roaming profiles before FSLogix)

I have yet to find any documentation on these apps to what they require to run, and trying to get this information out of MS is like getting out blood from a stone. Maybe this forum will give me better luck.

Friday, May 1, 2020 8:04 PM
  • We use also VMware Horizon. We changed the Profile Management from DEM (UEM) to FSLogix.
    The issue with disappearing Apps was not known with DEM. Maybe it's beacuse we stopped to use OSOT, we don't know.
    We can Login on our Win10 Build1909 Client with a clean Profile (Preparing Windows), Sticky Notes start correctly. After a Logout/Login, Sticky Notes hangs and doesn't start correctly.
    We had an open ticket (Sep. 2019 - Jan. 2020) to this issue. FSLogix classified it as known error and we have to wait for the next build.
    And now, with this newest build, the issue is not fixed.
    Monday, May 4, 2020 7:19 AM
  • Just a response to my previous note. 

I got this fixed. What had happened is we mistakenly excluded C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages from the FSLogix profile using a Redirections.xml file. As a result packages only installed on first login (profile creation), but there after they disappeared.

Also the following services had been disabled (which we enabled once again):

AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)

AppReadiness

Since doing all three of these all the apps have come back.

We are running 1909 with the latest FSLogic Agent. We also run DEM for application and desktop/OS profiling (gives resilience when a profile needs to be deleted if it gets corrupted).

I would not recommend stopping use of OSOT. The tool is fantastic and really speeds up the VM. There is also a document on vmware tech zone for optimising and image which is excellent (just be careful if you are using App Volumes also - do NOT add the devices.hotplug config into the VM) :

https://techzone.vmware.com/creating-optimized-windows-image-vmware-horizon-virtual-desktop

• Edited by JPope20 Monday, May 4, 2020 7:56 AM
    Monday, May 4, 2020 7:54 AM
  • Hi JPope20

I try your Fix. Sadly, on our environment it's not working.

\Appdata\Local\Packages is not excluded.
    When I disable those 2 Services, the UWP Apps are not available in the Startmenu.

Are you using FSLogix and DEM together? Maybe thats why your solution works?

Monday, May 4, 2020 9:56 AM
  • Do not disable those two Services. We disabled them initially, but have enabled them back again as they are needed.

Our setup of DEM will not affect the availibility of apps on an OS. It purely just makes copies of the settings users have on their Os/desktops and profiled applications. So if we ever have to remove a corrupted profle the user does not lose the settings he had for the apps (Like putty, chrome, winscp .... ).

Worth checking what GPOs you have in place, because there may be some there that are causing this type of behaviour. 

Definitely have a look at the techzone document and build a new one from scratch. Also try with limited GPOs and maybe split out GPOs to be Horizon specific, as this environment will behave differently to a physical one and settings from a physical setup may conflict with what you are trying to implement in Horizon.

We have GPOs specifically just for FSLogix on a per site basis (mainly because of the CCD Locations. We put the main site first in each GPO, you probably don't have to but I am pendantic). Don't know if you are using FSLogix CCD or just VHD Location, but aparently there have been a lot of bug fixes to the CCD side of it, so should be working better now.

Also make sure the remote volume you are putting the VHDX files on is a formated ReFS volume. 

Monday, May 4, 2020 10:08 AM
  • We done a lot of test without gpo's, only with a couple of gpo's and so on during the Ticket Process with Microsoft.
    We build the Parent VM's always from scratch.
    I can use a Parent VM with DEM installed, there is no problem with the UWP Apps.
    When I change that Parent VM from DEM to FSLogix, the issue with the UWP Apps happens.
    We store the Containers only on VHD Location.

That was the answer in January from the FSlogix Dev Team: 

"We are considering options on how to address this issue.  There are performance implications for addressing this item, so we are researching the best options, as well as best default state.  The earliest that we would expect a release that would address this is Calendar Q2 2020."

Monday, May 4, 2020 11:35 AM
  • Have you tried running OSOT before installing the FSLogix Agent.

Also, when you do, make sure the FSLogix Agent is the LAST agent to be installed after all the other VMware ones (Tools -> Horizon Agent -> App Volumes -> DEM -> FSlogix)

Monday, May 4, 2020 11:57 AM
  • Yes, thats the way how we install the Agents. Tools -> Horizon Agent -> FSlogix
    Now I build a new Parent VM, disable all GPO's, except FSLogix, and Optimize with OSOT.

I let you know the results.

Monday, May 4, 2020 12:06 PM
  • Now, I build a new Client with a minimalistic set of GPO for FSLogix and DEM.
    Test 1: FSLogix only, UWP App in the Taskbar disappear, StickyNotes does not start after relogin.
    Test 2: FSLogix and DEM enabled (Services): UWP App at the Taskbar disappear, StickyNotes does not start after relogin.
    Test 3: DEM only (FSLogix Service disabled): UWP available at the Taskbar, StickyNotes start automatically after relogin.

I used for this Tests always the same client, I just disabled the corresponding service.

For my opinion, this is a issue of FSLogix.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 12:25 PM
  • Since there isn't a fix yet (services are enabled, no exclusions active, still doesn't work)..

Is there a workaround? We use persistent and non-persistent VDI. A fix for the persistent would be a nice start since these users always log in to the same machine...

Wednesday, May 6, 2020 9:50 AM
  • This is really starting to become an issue. More and more users reporting that Apps stop working!!

Users can not open JPG files etc because Photos stops working. 

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:43 AM
  • I had this issue also, but I went through a lot (which I will list below), to get it to work.

Make sure you do NOT have these services disabled (These are VERY important):

• AppX Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
    • AppReadiness

Are you removing apps using Remove-AppxPackage and Remove-AppXProvisionedPackage. This is also done by OSOT, so disable that from there.

Also are you also running Vmware App Volumes ? Because there are things you have to make sure are excluded from the snapvol.cfg when using FSLogix. There is a conflict between the two agents.

Also have you set a redirections.xml for fslogix ? as there are some directories you should NOT have in there:

• C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages

This folder is where all UWP packages for Windows is installed when a user logs in for the first time. Worth browsing to that folder to see if they are all there.

Also be careful with using VMware OSOT. It has a tendancy to disable a lot of fundamental OS tasks and services that really are needed. So go through it carefully and understand what is being disabled/removed

Check your GPOs, as you may have tried to optimise the OS but restricted it more than it should be, because if the users had the apps and then they stop working, then its more than likely tou have some GPO in place possibly redirecting folders. Make sure you remove ALL folder redirection from your GPOs. Also if you are running VMware DEM make sure you remove folder redirection settings from there also.

If you have all of these in place then it is worth removing the user's profile (VHDX File) completely and getting them to log back on so it creates a new fresh one. If it works then, then log the user off, and log them back on. If the apps have dissappeared then you have a setting somewhere that is either removing the Packages folder or keeping it local on the old VM and not actually saving it to the fslogix profile disk.

It took me a long time to get to the bottom of this.

Thursday, June 18, 2020 5:02 PM
  • I checked all of the above. Services running, AppVolumes is not used. No redirections.xml and no folder redirection.

Apps still break after a while.

I did use OSOT but very very carefully. On a fresh profile it works fine but it just breaks after a while.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 7:53 AM
  • Anyone ever get this? I dont use appvolumes and confirmed that the apps are there for new users. Using the latest build. 
    Thursday, August 6, 2020 1:29 PM
  • Any news? This is getting pretty annoying. Users can not even use the calculator anymore...

Fix this, I don't care about performance impact. Users unable to work properly cost more than extra hardware...
    Should I consider VMware UEM??

Thursday, August 27, 2020 8:42 AM
  • We saw this issue as well. Spent 20-25 hours with Premier Support trying to resolve the issue. Various scripts and such that repaired the Windows Store, etc. Eventually, we got a call from someone from stateside Microsoft saying that this was a known issue with any roaming profile solution and the UWP apps. It will be addressed in a "future Windows Update".

To resolve, we have a Powershell script that basically reinstalls all apps on every user login. I don't believe I'm allowed to share the script solution we use but I will post here if I'm able to.

Friday, August 28, 2020 7:54 PM
  • How much does the script impact logintime?

I would very much like to get that script, if allowed offcourse. 

Monday, August 31, 2020 6:04 AM
  • We have developed a script to workaround this lack of support in the mean time. It is supposed to run at image generalization.

$taskName = "Fix AppX registration on MCS VDI"
    $sPath = "C:\provisionedAppXPackages.xml"

if (-Not (Test-Path -Path (Split-path -Path $sPath))) { 
    		New-Item -ItemType directory -Path (Split-path -Path $sPath)
    	}
    	Get-ProvisionedAppPackage -online | Export-Clixml -Path $sPath

$taskExists = Get-ScheduledTask -TaskName $taskName
    	if(!$taskExists){
    		$action = New-ScheduledTaskAction -Execute 'Powershell.exe' -Argument " -WindowStyle Hidden -command `"& {foreach (`$app in Import-Clixml -Path $($sPath)) { Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode -Path (`$app.InstallLocation) }}`""
    		$trigger =  New-ScheduledTaskTrigger -AtLogOn
    		$principal = New-ScheduledTaskPrincipal -GroupId "BUILTIN\Users"

Register-ScheduledTask -Action $action -Trigger $trigger -TaskName $taskName -Description "Registers all provisioned AppX packages at user logon" -Principal $principal
    	}

This also fixes the problem of apps provisioned to the master imagen once that the user profile has been created.
    • Edited by Julian.Force Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:44 PM Clarification
    Wednesday, September 16, 2020 4:42 PM