Windows Developers Preview can't read USB device

Question

• I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard. If I connect any USB drive (stick or external HDD) the OS will turn on and off repeatedly and cant read the device. That means I lost a pendrive and a HDD with 500 GB on it. (Fortunately I got my datas back.)

I have tried to install the USB3 driver for my mobo without success. Any idea, how can I use my USB ports?

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:00 PM

Answers

• Sorry to hear that you're still having issues Joco.  We'll look into this and see if we can reproduce the problem.

When you say that it killed your HD, do you mean that even after you disconnected it and moved it to a different machine, it still can't be read?

As far as the boot menu, my understanding is that you should install the older version of the OS first and then the newer OS, to ensure that you have the latest bootloader.  I'd suggest that you start a new thread for that issue.  Obviously it's working for you, and that's a good thing :)  I don't know if there are any problems you might encounter because of this install order.

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:00 PM
  • "do you mean that even after you disconnected it and moved it to a different machine, it still can't be read?"

Exactly. I think I will wait a stable version. I have other issues with this one but (almost) only with my Z68 motherboard. :D

Thank you for your sustained help!

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hello Joco1114,

Can you please clarify what you mean when you say that the OS is turning on and off repeatedly?  Do you mean that it's constantly crashing and rebooting, or something else?

You shouldn't have to install any additional drivers to get USB 3.0 working on this motherboard.  What drivers did you try using, and what happened when you tried to install them?

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:14 PM
  • Well, it means I see my device in the Explorer to appear and disappear again time by time. (cc. 2-3 secs).

That happens while I not use driver. After installing driver for USB3 (I use the new Etron driver from Gigabyte), nothing happens while plugging devices, just cant read but the LED is on until I plugging off. Now I reinstalled Windows 7 and everything working normaly with or without Entron driver.

An interesting thing: I've tried to install Win8 from USB flash drive. I made a bootable one with the Mirosoft bootable maker. Plugging in the pendrive into my computer everything went normaly until I selected language. (Hungarian) After than - as I mentioned before - the LED on the pendriver turned on permanently and soon I got an error message about the wrong install device. (Cant reach or not found the install device - I dot remember).

Thanks, and sorry about my poor English...

Joco

Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Hi Joco,

Thanks for the update!  I'll apologize in advance for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I understand your scenario better.

Please try the following steps in your current Win7 install:
    1) Open Device Manager (start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc)
    2) View -> Devices by connection
    3) Look through the nodes until your find your USB Mass Storage Device
    4) Let me know what the nodes above it say in device manager. 

Example:
    Intel ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
        USB Root Hub
            Generic USB Hub
                USB Mass Storage Device

That information will help me understand which controller it is connected to.  Windows 7 doesn't include USB 3.0 support, and since you said you didn't load any drivers there, I think that the device might be showing up on the 2.0 controller instead of the 3.0 controller.

Are the storage devices USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?  Can you give me the make and model info for some of them please?

When you had Win8 on the machine, were you connecting your storage devices to the blue ports on the back of the machine, the front panel blue ports, or the red USB ports?

Thanks,
    Mark

(BTW, the English was great, it was just my lack of caffeine that confused me :)

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:03 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I have downloaded the ISO again (who knows?) and reinstall to another drive. I didnt wrote but I have an OCZ SSD... Maybe there will be any differences... :)

Well, I reinstalled and first of all I plugged my Kingston DataTraveler Hyper (8GB). And voila!: it worked! I've tried to format the device to NTFS (it was in FAt32), without error! I thought I miss something. I plugged my Samsung 500 GB external drive (2.5" maybe S2 series), and worked at all! I was brave, I have backup on another drive.

After than, I installed this INFUpdate:

*  Product: Intel(R) Chipset Device Software *  Release: Production Version *  Version: 9.2.0.1021 *  Target Products: Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family *    2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family *  Date: December 23 2010 ************************************************************

I have another USB drive (Kingston G3, 8GB) with drivers on it. I plugged... LED started to light... without ending.

After all, I dont know it was because of INFUpdate, or because of USB drive. I formatted it on Windows 7 (working correctly) and replugged in Windows 8. Same problem. The other flash drive still working...

It means it is a local, unique problem. If (only) you have spare time, please check this picture. I didnt installed any USB driver, only INFUpdate for my motherboard. You can see Kingston DataTraveler G3 USB Device.

Thank you for your work,

Joco

Friday, October 28, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Hi Joco,

Thanks for trying another download + install.

It appears that you are no longer seeing the device connect & disconnect, but now you're seeing that the LED on the drive stays on, and I assume no folder ever appears for the drive in Explorer.  Is that correct?

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Yes, that is correct. When I click on the drive letter in Explorer, the computer will start to "thinking" but I cant access to drive. I cant format also only in Win 7.

An interesting thing I noticed: if I shut down the computer the common way (Alt+F4, Shutdown), I cant start it again. It will freeze at the 1st screen, right before the spinning dots. I have to push reset button, but after that I can get the boot menu (Win DP and Win 7).

Monday, October 31, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Sh*t! It's definitely a HUGE USB problem with my mobo. Killed my external hard drive again... Thank God, I synched it last day!

BTW: I solved the boot problem (mentioned in the previous post): I installed Win7 AFTER the DP and using Win7 boot menu...

Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Sorry to hear that you're still having issues Joco.  We'll look into this and see if we can reproduce the problem.

When you say that it killed your HD, do you mean that even after you disconnected it and moved it to a different machine, it still can't be read?

As far as the boot menu, my understanding is that you should install the older version of the OS first and then the newer OS, to ensure that you have the latest bootloader.  I'd suggest that you start a new thread for that issue.  Obviously it's working for you, and that's a good thing :)  I don't know if there are any problems you might encounter because of this install order.

Thanks,

Mark

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:00 PM
  • "do you mean that even after you disconnected it and moved it to a different machine, it still can't be read?"

Exactly. I think I will wait a stable version. I have other issues with this one but (almost) only with my Z68 motherboard. :D

Thank you for your sustained help!

Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:08 PM