none
dillemas at very start of adventure RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello

my name is Robert Majhen and I am CEO of Green vector and ARBI information technology companies from Croatia.

First of all excuse me for my lack of knowledge at this point . We have chance to work on very interesting project and since we are experienced IT developers I think we could manage it ... just need to know which way to go.

Let me explain you what we have and what we need.

Right now we are in process of contracting with one partner in the field of interactive TV show.

We will have to develop system where there will be two live actors in front of “Kinect for Windows” v2 device and integrated into virtual world.

These two actors will be replaced with two avatars / virtual characters.

It is important that when they talk .. our avatars are lip synced.

Which way to go?  NIMATE ... ICLONE ... BLENDER ... BREKEL + MOTION BUILDER ... UNITY + K4W PLUGIN .. only K4W SDK ... KINECT 4 UNREAL ?

Thank you in advance.

Green vector 
    ArBi d.o.o. 
    Robert Majhen, CEO 

Tel: +385 ( 0 ) 42 810169 

http://www.green-vector.hr 
    http://www.ar-bi.com
    Friday, January 23, 2015 11:03 AM

All replies

• As far as Kinect goes, the only support we provide out of the box is a plug-in for Unity. There are other plug-ins for Unreal that some community members have provided, but not sure the state of it. There may be others I am not aware of.

The key to your question is what you are comfortable with as a development platform and is Kinect data available to that platform. Kinect SDK will only provide your joint and joint orientation information as well as some face tracking data(hd face) but how you would incorporate that into a complete system would be up to your development environment and what is available to you. You will have to roll your own or work with others in this space.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, January 23, 2015 8:03 PM
  • Tnx for your answer.

On my opinion Kinect is definitely a way to go ..

Just wanted to hear  what would be best combination. 

Anyway I made up my mind and will see if the decision is right.

The key term is avateering and it would be much of a help to show some samples or point me to the direction where to find scripts/samples where real actor move the avatar real time  in unity 3D project (something like this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTftSOIi62c ). That would close the production circle and turn on green light for moving on.

btw. any idea when will it be possible to buy Kinect for Windows v2 in Europe ?

We bought it in USA and friend of mine will send it to me early next week.

Just hope that electric supply unit handle 220 voltage which we use in Europe.

tnx

Robert

• Edited by cloudiam Saturday, January 24, 2015 2:50 PM
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:12 AM
  • You can buy Kinect v2 from Microsoft Store in several European countries since the release date (at least in Spain you can) although I don't know if shipments are made to Croatia. Maybe you can arrange it through a third-party like you did in the USA.

Check microsoftstore.com, change the country (I supose Italy and Austria are the nearest options) and search for "kinect".

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:12 PM
  • Actually here's a list of countries and respective links to the microsoft store (or other) pages:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/default.aspx#tab=1

Since the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor is out of stock in many countries you can also buy a Kinect for XBox One sensor and get the adapter for PC here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/purchase/default.aspx#tab=2

Brekel

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:17 PM
  • well this isnot an option since Kinect v2 is waaay to advanced in comparsion with Kinect v1 (which btw I have at home)
    Monday, January 26, 2015 5:22 PM
  • We bought it from USA and hopefully will work on 220 V.

Microsoft support team said that it should work. 

Not a single MS store in Europe has Kinect v2 on stock :(

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:24 PM
  • I think you misunderstood Brekel words. Kinect for XBox One + adapter solution is exactly the same as Kinect for Windows v2 sensor, I mean, same hardware, same SDK. In fact, when they announced the adapter, I thought they were going to stop selling Kinect for Windows v2 and just sell Kinect for XBox One and adapters. Again, you can buy both from MS stores in Spain, Italy or Austria (I just checked and it seems to be available for 150€+50€, just the same as the 200€ "for windows" version).

Maybe you are confusing them with XBox 360 Kinect version that was roughly the same as Kinect v1.

• Edited by jmmroldan Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:10 AM
  • Oh I see.

Sorry for misunderstanding guys .. I thought that this adapter is for Kinect sensor for XBOX first generation .

I will take a look into European shops if someone delivers to Croatia.

Tnx for making thing clearer :)

• Edited by cloudiam Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:38 PM
    Tuesday, January 27, 2015 12:36 PM
  • You're welcome.

I've just checked power supply and it is 100-220V, 50/60 Hz, so I suppose you won't have any problem. You will only need a socket adaptor from type A or B to the standard used in Croatia.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015 3:07 PM
  • Freak'n Genius is a graduate of the 2012 Microsoft Kinect Accelerator. They solved the problems described in your post and they may have an off-the-shelf solution that you could purchase:

http://www.freakngenius.com

Friday, January 30, 2015 4:52 AM
  • Animation software like Poser 2014 dev game support Kinect, but I dont think that they have upgraded to v2 yet, but perhaps that can be fixed relative easy. 
    Sunday, February 1, 2015 12:21 PM