none
How to Access an Central SQL Database Using a Windows Forms Application from Client Workstations? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm developing a small-scale ERP application with a Windows Form interface to a back-end SQL database in C# using Visual Studio 2012 Premium. There will be approximately three to five users using this application and the amount of data to be stored is not much. My questions are interdependent so read them twice please:-

1. Should I use a (a) Service-Based database (SQL Server) or (b) a Local Database (SQL Compact)?
    2. Should I (a) install this application on each client workstation or (b) just keep it on a central server in which users can remotely access it and run it?

I'm a complete newbie and have no experience in installing, setting up and configuring servers or SQL Server. Is it possible to proceed as 1(b) and 2(b) and allow concurrent users to access the local compact database via the ERP without queuing?

Best regards,

Seif

• Moved by Tina-Shi Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:29 AM the issue is related to the ado.net
    Tuesday, June 2, 2015 6:04 AM

Answers

• SQL CE is not really designed for concurrent mult-user access and Microsoft has deprecated this version. You should be fine with SQL Server Express Edition.

I would either deploy to each machine with a standard Setup and Deployment project or use ClickOnce deployment for centralized installation and update. I can't say I'm really a fan of running the app from the file share on the network because you still need to make sure the version of the .NET Framework targeted by your app is installed on the client.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Seif,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Since this issue is related to the ado.net, so we will move this case to this ADO.NET forum, you will get better support.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 8:27 AM
  • SQL CE is not really designed for concurrent mult-user access and Microsoft has deprecated this version. You should be fine with SQL Server Express Edition.

I would either deploy to each machine with a standard Setup and Deployment project or use ClickOnce deployment for centralized installation and update. I can't say I'm really a fan of running the app from the file share on the network because you still need to make sure the version of the .NET Framework targeted by your app is installed on the client.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:04 PM