none
How to enhance Community Discussion with more features?

Question

• I have created a Community Site in SP2013 and learned that it can accomodate Discussion  and Question. But I want to enhance it's features as follows.

1. How to make the default to be Question? I do not want the Discussion to happen. Everything is Question.
    2. How to Label all "discussions" as questions"? Example "new discussion" to be "new question"
    3. How to move the views "Answered questions", "Unanswered questions" to be the first in views? Instead of showing "What's hot", "My Discussions"
    4. How to notify by email group of users when a new question is posted? I have group of people for each Category considered as Experts whom it should send an email with a link to question saying that there is a new question and they need to respond.
    5. How to notify by email the Expert's Direct Reports if Experts do not respond within a week timeframe?
    6. Is it possible to assign a question to a Specific Expert to make that Expert be responsible to answer?
    7. Is it possible for Expert to return the question to the question initiator asking more details about the question?
    8. How to make Reports such as following:
      How many questions answered by Expert/Category?
      How many not answered  by Expert/Category?
      How many hours each Expert took to answer Category?

I am trying to perform all of the above using OOTB SP, SP Designer only.

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 6, 2017 12:52 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't need that tool. JS & CSS will be used for your first two/three questions. By using styling, you can make those changes, or add your own custom links for items.

#3 can be done using a calculated column or workflow. Basically you'd set the number of the item and then filter the view based on that number.

#4 could either be an alert or a designer workflow.

#5 would be either part of the designer workflow or you could us a timer job for that.

#6 depends on how you set the expert. If it's based on another value (field), then you could use a calculated column or workflow to set that field's value.

#7 would be a workflow as well.

#8 would be calculated columns/double lookup count related.

I suggest you start working on these elements, then post specific questions when you can't figure out how to do something. Try to keep each question to a singe post.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by MC ROY Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:03 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Rio- that's a lot of questions for one thread! You'll need more than just SP Designer. JavaScript & CSS would take care of most of your questions. Views & calculated columns would take care of others, and you'll need alerts/workflow for the notifications.

cameron rautmann

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Hi Cameron, Thanks for your quick guidance. Appreciate if you can tell what are the items I can do with SP Designer, JS, CSS, view, calculated columns from my list. As I am new to SP and not sure what does what.

I found this product https://www.bamboosolutions.com/alert-plus/#specs which seems can do more than alert/workflow.

Can you guide further?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by MC ROY Monday, March 6, 2017 3:00 PM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 2:53 PM
  • You shouldn't need that tool. JS & CSS will be used for your first two/three questions. By using styling, you can make those changes, or add your own custom links for items.

#3 can be done using a calculated column or workflow. Basically you'd set the number of the item and then filter the view based on that number.

#4 could either be an alert or a designer workflow.

#5 would be either part of the designer workflow or you could us a timer job for that.

#6 depends on how you set the expert. If it's based on another value (field), then you could use a calculated column or workflow to set that field's value.

#7 would be a workflow as well.

#8 would be calculated columns/double lookup count related.

I suggest you start working on these elements, then post specific questions when you can't figure out how to do something. Try to keep each question to a singe post.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by MC ROY Tuesday, March 7, 2017 6:03 AM
    Monday, March 6, 2017 4:14 PM
  • Great help. I will perform each one of this and post separate questions accordingly. Thanks
    Monday, March 6, 2017 6:31 PM