none
Comma c# in regular expresson RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a regular expression in some C# code that's being used to strip out formatting from a number:

"[^0-9,-,.]"

Any idea what the

,-,.]

part of this regular expression is supposed to do?  Here's an example of the regular expression in use:

Convert.ToDouble(Regex.Replace("-1000000.00", "[^0-9,-,.]", ""))

I tried leaving it out and couldn't see any difference in the results with the numbers I was looking at.  I've searched through several online regular expression tutorials and can't find any that use commas like this. 

I find some that use commas that indicate something needs to be repeated, e.g.:

{n,m} Repeat at least n, but no more than m times

but this is different.

-Charlie

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 1:56 PM

Answers

• The comma doesn't have any special meaning in the regex character groups, so the pattern above reads:

Match any character that is not one of the following:

- a character between '0' and '9'

- a character between ',' and ',' (that's weird, I know)

- a period.

As a result, the minus sign is not listed as an allowed character and your code removes the minus sign from "-10000.00" (tested on .NET 4.5, I'm not sure what happens on other platforms).

I doubt that's the intended behavior; I would suggest that you rewrite your pattern based on what you expect to be preserved.

O.T.: just removing offending characters does not guarantee that you end up with a string that can be converted successfully to a double (e.g. "10.0.0.1") and, conversely, can make a totally bogus string into a valid number, which is equally bad (e.g. "5/16"). Depending on your needs, there could be better solutions.

HTH
    --mc

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:00 PM