Controlling visibility of links on Quick Launch RRS feed

• Question

• I know how to control visibility on objects such as lists and documents on the quick launch menu, however I've hit an issue with controlling the visibility on links.

Essentially I have a link which I only want visible on the quick launch bar to one permission group.  It seems by default anyone who has access to the share point site can see this link although only those with access will be able to follow it, everyone else will get  access denied when they click on the link.

I would prefer it if only the people who have access to the destination web page could see the link.

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 23, 2011 6:30 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:18 PM

Answers

• I didn't quite understand. So the link that you are trying to add does it belong to the page within the SharePoint site? If yes, then the only way to do it will be try adding a relative link of the page using SharePoint Designer on the quick launch. 

Step 1: Open the site in SPD

Step 2: Look for Navigation / Hierarchy (I don't know the exact terminology as I don't have my MOSS 2007 VM with me) . 

Step 3: Once you have that navigation open, you should see top navigation, site structure and quick launch. In this quick launch you add a relative link. 

Once you do this, it will automatically security trim it for you. 

Do let me know if you face difficulties. 

Thanks, Mayur Joshi Blog: http://splearnings.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:30 PM
  • If you look at the above screenshot, the 1st image shows the footer of the SPD 2007 where you should see the above 5 tabs. Click on the Navigation tab you should see the 2nd image in the screenshot. There are 2 ways to create the link 1st right click on the Quick Launch and click on the new page, that will create a new page in the site and also create a link. The other is to go to the document library where your web page lies; select the page drag and drop it to the quick launch. This should take care of security trimming. 

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:15 PM

All replies

• I didn't quite understand. So the link that you are trying to add does it belong to the page within the SharePoint site? If yes, then the only way to do it will be try adding a relative link of the page using SharePoint Designer on the quick launch. 

Step 1: Open the site in SPD

Step 2: Look for Navigation / Hierarchy (I don't know the exact terminology as I don't have my MOSS 2007 VM with me) . 

Step 3: Once you have that navigation open, you should see top navigation, site structure and quick launch. In this quick launch you add a relative link. 

Once you do this, it will automatically security trim it for you. 

Do let me know if you face difficulties. 

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:30 PM
  • HI

Thanks for your reply.   When I go into share point designer I cannot see navigation/hierarchy

Could you explain further please?

Thank you :-)

Friday, September 23, 2011 2:32 PM
  • If you look at the above screenshot, the 1st image shows the footer of the SPD 2007 where you should see the above 5 tabs. Click on the Navigation tab you should see the 2nd image in the screenshot. There are 2 ways to create the link 1st right click on the Quick Launch and click on the new page, that will create a new page in the site and also create a link. The other is to go to the document library where your web page lies; select the page drag and drop it to the quick launch. This should take care of security trimming. 

Friday, September 23, 2011 4:15 PM