An unhandled exception has occurred reload the designer

Question

• Reposted here as per Amanda Zhu's advice. Seeing as Dwayne was posting on my behalf originally I've added some information.

Hello,
    Here's a picture of the error being received:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=765f5eb877462786&id=765F5EB877462786!3044&sff=1&authkey=!AL_5rvkePeAsOWI

This happens any time the designer is opened. Visual Studio 2012 is installed on Windows Server 2012, RemoteApp'ed onto Surface RT. Everything else works fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

further information; This happens on a brand new WS2012 installation with everything set to default bar the domain join and RemoteApp roles. Visual Studio has been updated to the latest official release (I believe update 1). The designer crashes with the same unhandled exception in Blend as well as Visual Studio. The designer works fine when logged onto the console, but not when running VS2012 as a RemoteApp.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:50 PM

All replies

• Visual Studio has been updated to the latest official release (I believe update 1).

As per a Microsoft suggestion (based on Designer bugfixes) I installed Update 2 CTP. The issue still remains however.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:15 PM
  • From the error (in the future it would be easier if you pasted the text of the error rather than linking to an image) the problem is "the app manager is required to activate applications, but is not running".

It sounds like Windows Store apps are not supported as RemoteApps - this makes sense since Windows Store apps are intended to be full screen, while RemoteApps are designed to run windowed. This means that the app manager doesn't run in the remote app session, and since the designer depends on the app manager it cannot load the app in its design view.

You will need to remote into the desktop to run Visual Studio instead of running Visual Studio as a RemoteApp.

--Rob

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:49 AM
    Owner
  • From the error (in the future it would be easier if you pasted the text of the error rather than linking to an image) the problem is "the app manager is required to activate applications, but is not running".

It sounds like Windows Store apps are not supported as RemoteApps - this makes sense since Windows Store apps are intended to be full screen, while RemoteApps are designed to run windowed. This means that the app manager doesn't run in the remote app session, and since the designer depends on the app manager it cannot load the app in its design view.

You will need to remote into the desktop to run Visual Studio instead of running Visual Studio as a RemoteApp.

--Rob

That would make sense if I was actually trying to launch a Metro (Windows Store) App, but I'm not, I am trying to edit some of the XAML in said Metro App using Visual Studio 2012 running as a RemoteApp.

To clarify; Running Visual Studio 2012 as a RemoteApp works great. I can even install the Remote Debugging Tools on my Surface RT and automatically launch the Metro App on Windows RT simply by hitting F5 in VS2012. I can edit, debug, launch and do pretty much anything I want as long as I don't try to use the XAML graphical designer (or Blend - same issue there).

I've spoke to other people who tell me they have had this working just fine, including ones who specifically use it the way I intended - i.e. with a Surface RT for "remote" programming. So surely there is a way to get this done. Where do I find the "App Manager" executable? If that truly is the cause surely I can just make sure that is running beforehand.

Also, since my initial post I have spoke to others who told me the exception was likely thrown because it was running on WS2012 rather than Win8, I am however running it on a virtualized VDI install now in a fully configured Win8 Enterprise VM.

cc/http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15066717/visual-studio-2012-designer-throws-exception-0x80270257

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:29 AM