none
.Net Framework confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Microsoft gurus,

Please tell me why vs2010 didnt support framework 4, but 1.1? how to do it.

Thanks,

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:29 PM

Answers

• I'm sorry, but the best advice I can give in your situation is to upgrade the projects in question to at least ,NET Framework 2.0 to get them on the new codebase and accessible by modern Visual Studio versions. I would strongly suggest that you go to .NET Framework 3.5 as a minimum. I would also encourage you to see what additional effort is needed to go to 4.0, in comparison to 3.5. Runnung the update wizard on a *copy* of your project is not expensive.

I realize that these conversions may seem painful, because the Update Wizard in Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 will probably not be able to fully convert the projects automatically, requiring manual effort by your staff.

Please remember that .NET Framework 1.1 os over eight years old and has not been supported for development since Visual Studio 2003 (which won't work on modern Windows).

If you plan to use these software pieces in new solutions, conversion is the pnly answer.

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Friend,
      I wonder about your question.... VS 2010 is came for developing applicaitons targetting .NET Framework 4.0. And moreover i am not able to find an option in VS 2010 to target an application fo .NET 1.1. When you create a project in VS 2010, by default it will target for .NET Framework 4.0. You may check for your .NET framework installation whether it is done properly, and also check the latest framework installer here....

-- Thanks Ajith R [MCTS:ASP.NET&Win Forms]
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Visual Studio 2010 can target ,NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0

The last VS that worked with .NET Framework 1,1 was Visual Studio .NET 2003 (which does not work with modern Windows Vista and 7).

V1.1 is a different codebase from newer versions and is obsolete.

Bottom line: you cannot do it.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Thanks all. But I didint see any officail response in my post. Or Microsofter didnt care forum's member???

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:40 AM
  • Hi CupOverTheTable,

Thank you for your post.

Could you please let me know why do you think Visual Studio 2010 does not support .NET Framework 4, but 1.1?

Actually Visual Studio 2010 target .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. and .NET Framework 1.1 is not supported by Visual Studio 2010.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:33 AM
  • Could you please let me know why do you think Visual Studio 2010 does not support .NET Framework 4, but 1.1?

Alex,

I have to say thank you for your quick response but no quality! What's the meaning of the above question? I think VS2010 supports 1.1. From yours, do you want let me tell you why VS2010 doesnt support 1.1? RIDICULOUS!

Please dont duplicate pvdg's reply. What's your option and sincerity???? Just copy?! If you havent, dont speak.

Thanks,

Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:19 PM
  • Hello,

VS 2010 does support .net 4.0, it does not support .net 1.1. This is the truth. Your question totally confuses all of us. This MS guy just wants to clarify your question. Though his answer seems duplicate the reply of others, the root cause of the argument is you have post a wrong question. Look at MVP’s reply, do you realize you have ask a RIDICULOUS question?

Previous MSFT support engineer,

lqian2 

Senior Support Engineer
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Hi CupOverTheTable,

Thank you for your

As the feature of VS2010, by default, Visual Studio 2010 includes only the .NET Framework 4 during the installation. To apply Visual Studio 2010 with other .NET Framework like .NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, we need have these .NET Frameworks installed and upgrade .NET Framework 3.5 to SP1 on the development machine.
    Please check the official document about this feature in VS2010:
    For more information on Multi-Targeting feature, please visit: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb398197.aspx
    I think that this would be helpful to sweep off your concern or confusion.

Frankly speaking, all of us are curious about the reason why you stick to the idea that VS2010 supports .NET 1.1. If you could provide our some links or ways that we can get it, please feel free to let us know. I'm so glad to discuss this thing with you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    Vivian Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:07 PM add sentence
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Hi CupOverTheTable,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for my unclear expression.

The question I asked means I want to know why you have these concern, for example: you want to know why  Visual Studio 2010 did not support .NET Framework 4 but .NET Framework 1.1. Since in fact Visual Studio 2010 support .NET Framework 4 but not support .NET Framework 1.1, I intended to clarify my concern with you. If I have misunderstood anything, I apologize to you.

Based on my knowledge and research, Visual Studio 2010 certainly only support .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. If you want to develop a project using .NET Framework 1.1 in Visual Studio 2010, I am sorry that it is not possible.

If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft

Friday, May 20, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Forgive my overestimate.  but i think you should know what my concern is in my very first post. you'r MS guru, right? BUT, you still didnt answer my question why vs2010 didnt support 1.1. from your latest reply, you just just and just say vs2010 didnt support 1.1. YOU SAID NO, BUT WHY???

checked yichun's reply, it said when you opened a previous version of framework, vs2010 will auto upgrade it. So why we cannot use 1.1 on vs2010? or any workaround?

before you post your reply, did you REALLY do more researchs? 

Saturday, May 21, 2011 3:49 PM
  • I'll take a stab at your Why? question.

Actually, there are several reasons:

v1.1 is a different codebase from later versions, and has reached end of mainstream support. Read here:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=1249

VS 2010 was released *long* after the end of mainstream support. (Note, also, that VS 2005 and VS 2008 do not support .NET Framework 1.1).

Also, IMO, it was not economically feasible for Microsoft to upgrade the old codebase to meet the security needs of newer Windows versions, although you can still install 1.1 on Vista and Win 7 to support old software (this may well not be true in Windows 8).

Software publishers (Microsoft included) have to move on. As new versions are released, supporting old versions for an ever decreasing audience adds unnecessary costs to the bottom line.

Now, I'd like to ask you a question. What particular need do you have that makes .NET Framework 1.1 support in VS 2010 such a hot button concern for you?

Saturday, May 21, 2011 6:06 PM
  • There is no reason for this. The proper reason is strategy and technical issue. Why Vista doesn’t support IE 6 and Win7 doesn’t support IE7. Why you are told to install VS2008 SP1 when you try to install Sql Server 2008 R2? I haven’t got any answer for these. Microsoft wants you to abandon old one and purchase new. Do you understand now? I never ask for the reason from MS. I just follow its rule if I still need to be his customer. 

Senior Support Engineer
    Monday, May 23, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Many thanks pvdg42. Because we want to use some previous projects and interface in our new project. Could you please provide some workarounds to me on this scenario?

Monday, May 23, 2011 2:23 PM
  • I'm sorry, but the best advice I can give in your situation is to upgrade the projects in question to at least ,NET Framework 2.0 to get them on the new codebase and accessible by modern Visual Studio versions. I would strongly suggest that you go to .NET Framework 3.5 as a minimum. I would also encourage you to see what additional effort is needed to go to 4.0, in comparison to 3.5. Runnung the update wizard on a *copy* of your project is not expensive.

I realize that these conversions may seem painful, because the Update Wizard in Visual Studio 2008 or 2010 will probably not be able to fully convert the projects automatically, requiring manual effort by your staff.

Please remember that .NET Framework 1.1 os over eight years old and has not been supported for development since Visual Studio 2003 (which won't work on modern Windows).

If you plan to use these software pieces in new solutions, conversion is the pnly answer.

Monday, May 23, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Thanks, pvdg42. You're the champion!
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 1:48 PM
    To: v-yicche@microsoft.com
    Subject: visual studio installaion help
    Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 17:29:46 +0000

I try to mail you direct but there was mail notification faiure. so i am writing here.

i have problem in installation in VS 2010 i have done every thing but i am not able to install i got your address from msdn help.

i have same problem which is in this address

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/thread/af606622-183b-4dfe-bc76-23dd3b845a78

i uninstall every thing from my pc of visual studio and .net frame work for installing sql express but after that i am unable to installation.

in starting installation of VS i have this warning setup has detect the following required component are already installed  MICROSOFT Application error reporting
    after running have error code 1603

what can i do reply fast i am sending you log file please help fast
    Friday, June 3, 2011 8:40 AM
  • I'm not sure why you added you post to this answered thread, but please start a new thread if you want the best results.

As your issue is primarily with installation of Visual Studio 2010, I suggest you start a new thread in the Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum, here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vssetup/threads

Friday, June 3, 2011 11:33 AM