Microsoft Touch Mouse Drivers??

Question

• I bought a Microsoft Touch Mouse hoping it would give me some of the Metro features access.  Win 8 preview doesn't seem to recognize it as anything special (multi-touch features don't really work).  I tried downloading the latest Intellipoint software (8.2), but that if anything makes it worse.

Any idea where drivers for the touch mouse may be hiding?

TIA

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:26 AM

Answers

• We didn't have it connected to a PC.  We did not and are not making any announcements about the Touch Mouse and Windows 8 right now but will no doubt have more to share in the future.

• Edited by Ben Reed Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by brucef Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:31 PM

All replies

• This is because the drivers don't support Windows 8. After all, it is a developer preview so the developers of the drivers are probably still working on them. Wait till the final Windows 8 is released, then it wouldn't be a problem. (I have a synaptics touchpad and if i try to install, the installer simply crashes)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by 4053570ytheg123 Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:12 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:12 AM
  • Microsoft was demoing the Touch Mouse at the BUILD Expo, so somewhere there are drivers for it...  Hoping someone will know where they are hiding...

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:17 AM
  • We didn't have it connected to a PC.  We did not and are not making any announcements about the Touch Mouse and Windows 8 right now but will no doubt have more to share in the future.

• Edited by Ben Reed Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by brucef Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Thanks for the reply! If you need a beta tester for any new drivers, just let me know ;-).
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Really would like to see this.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:18 AM
  • I would love to have these too... My mouse is on its way here, bought it with the presumption that it would work.. since its probably going to be the most important input device on windows 8 if you do not have a touchscreen :(
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 6:05 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/touch-mouse

worked for the one i just grabbed today, so I guess the drivers are finally out =D

Friday, October 21, 2011 11:26 PM
  • What do you define as 'worked'?  The drivers are still dated 9/1/11, and you can't do anything in the Metro interface (like get it to pan to the right, etc).  It works as a regular mouse, but little more. 

Saturday, October 22, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Well lets put it this way: Worked as in I am able to use the touch mouse to ignore unwanted comments with the ease of 3 fingers to close them all down, etc.
    • Edited by Cadwen57 Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:43 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:43 PM
  • As for today, I can confirm that all the gestures provided by IntelliPoint drivers (including Instant Preview) work on Windows Developer preview.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 3:01 PM
  • @Andrew  What I was hoping for was that the Touch Mouse would enable me to use the Developer Preview as if I was using a touch screen.  Instead I find that it has a few features that make it work with Windows 7, but this is not Windows 7, it is Windows 8, which has a whole set of gestures that the Touch Mouse fails to provide in the current implementation.

Am I missing something here?  Are you able to use the touch mouse effectively with Windows 8 preview?  Are you using a particular version of the intellipoint drivers that is newer than the 8.2 version?

Monday, November 28, 2011 3:34 PM
  • I get the point. The gestures work, although they give no benefits in WDP. I do not know any WDP gestures and think the drivers will be updated up to release of Windows 8.

Moreover, Touch Mouse was designed solely for Windows 7, so it is rather silly to expect any Win8 functionalty from current Intellipoint drivers.

I am using v. 8.2 now, and must state that some apps still resist scroll gestures - even after adding them to exclusions in settings. Thinking it may be related to new scrolling bars and somehow to UAC if the app is running in admin context. For instance, Windows Media Player and Total Commander resist scrolling, in Windows Photo Viewer only zoom is working - but in Windows Live Photo Gallery it works as it should.

I think that is why scroll gestures do not work with Metro interface.

UPD: As of 29.11.2011, after a couple of reboots and installation of not driver-related software scroll is working in Start screen, as well as in other apps with new scrollbars.

However, still gestures not working in apps running in admin context - maybe IntelliPoint runs not in admin context and is unable to provide the gestures (including scroll). And still no pan in Start screen - I guess that is not supported by IntelliPoint 8.2

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 6:44 AM