anyone running a mail server ? RRS feed

• Question

• User-521509249 posted
    anyone running a mail server with a dinamic ip address, using dynamic dns services from a provider, does it work fine ?
     can u send and receive mail to anyone ?

How do u have smtp access settings configured ? anonymous ? basic authentication ? Integrated Windows Authentication?
    Friday, October 14, 2005 8:56 PM

All replies

• User-1853252149 posted
    anyone running a mail server with a dinamic ip address, using dynamic dns services from a provider, does it work fine ?

Yes

can u send and receive mail to anyone ?

Yes

How do u have smtp access settings configured ? anonymous ? basic authentication ? Integrated Windows Authentication?

Out of the box defaults.

Now, none of that helped you did it?  How about telling us your problem, so maybe we can suggest a solution?  Keep in mind that I can send and receive from anyone, but from a dynamic IP it's often bounced as SPAM.  You'd see that in your SMTP logs.

Jeff
    Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:19 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    Also, smtp is for you to relay mail out, not a real mailbox like pop3 or imap, get a real mail server that support both.
    Sunday, October 16, 2005 10:46 PM
  • User-521509249 posted

Thk u guys,

1- Now that you've mentioned it, yes i tried do install a real mail server (ms exchange 2k3), but to be honest i didn't know how to install it, if u can help me install it or if u know of another good e-mail server, tell me.

2- The problems i'm having are:

- I can't receive and send message to the big guys like hotmail, and others.
         -  If i turn on Windows integrated atuthentication in the SMTP access atuhentication  i won't be able to send or receive mail. do i have to had some permissions ?

Monday, October 17, 2005 8:13 AM
  • User-521509249 posted
    another thing: i'm using no-ip as dynamic dns service provider. i've been searching for other dynamic dns providers, but didn't like it very much, do u know anyone better then no-ip ? if u can't post their names or url's here, please send me a private msg.
    Monday, October 17, 2005 8:20 AM
  • User-521509249 posted
    let me add on more thing : now every one that sends me an e-mail gets a non delivery message saying that "my machine didn't authorize sender".
    What do i have to do in order that anyone that sends me an e-mail will be authorize ?
    Monday, October 17, 2005 3:29 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    Ok. now - this become not an IIS already. It's exchange related. Anyway, for mail server to function properly you need to seup the Mail Exchange record (MX) in your DNS. I'm not sure whether your dynamic DNS provider support this or not, you need to check with them. Its usage is for mail traffic know which mail server to deliver to. Next regarding your smtp authentication, you need to look at the error code. Mostly, you failed the authentication... as for the hotmail, your mail server mostly can't do that with dynamic IP, as hotmail/yahoo/etc check a lot of things about your server before accepting your mail. E.g. does it has a reverse lookup name setup, is it blacklisted, or clean in whitelist, etc.  And also I think exchange may be too overwhelm for you, get some third party mail server like Merak, etc. Google around.
    Monday, October 17, 2005 10:03 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    None of these probelms are related to IIS and you can't fix any of them in IIS.  You need a mail server.  Server 2003 includees both POP and SMTP, and Exchange does well too.  There are also many other third party choices.  But you need to configure them correctly, configure your systm correctly and configure DNS and routing correctly.  You might try an Exchange related forum or one that matches the mail server you choose, but you have a huge learning curve in front of you.  Your bets bet is to use a hosted service.  Second best is to work with a consultant to get you set up and trained.

Jeff
    Monday, October 17, 2005 11:11 PM
  • User-521509249 posted
    I'm running smtp and u tell me it has nothing to do with iis ?? the smtp service is running on iis.
    My problem is an authentication one. I can send and receive mail as long as the smtp authentication is anonymous.

Obvisously i don't want it to be set to anonymous, because my queue folder was full with hundreds of messages form unknown ppl.
    - if i uncheck the SMTP anonymous access, then those who try to send me mail will receive a non delivery msg saying my machine didn't authorize the sender.
    I want to know why this happens and how can i fix this ?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:16 AM
  • User-521509249 posted
    Another thing, no-ip.com manages my DNS records. and yes i've added an MX record in the no-ip.com DNS 
    I believe u do not understand how Dynamic DNS providers work. My IP is dynamic, but since my domain is managed by no-ip.com, it is up to no-ip.com DNS to trasnlate connections between my mail server and other mail servers.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2005 9:36 AM
  • User-1345080718 posted
    I have only recently started with email servers, but I would suggest starting with POP & SMTP on the server to work out issues with sending and receiving mail before jumping into Exchange.    To work out possible issues with DNS and the MX record, I used the tools on  http://www.dnsstuff.com and http://www.dnsreport.com , and found my DNS setup issues.   I do not use dynamic DNS services any longer, but I do not think it will make a difference.    

I am just starting with the setup of Exchange myself, now that I know I can send and receive.
    By the way, another dynamic DNS service is http://www.dyndns.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 4:40 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

I'm running smtp and u tell me it has nothing to do with iis ?? the smtp service is running on iis.

Actually, the SMTP service shares the MMC snapin with IIS, but that's really the only connection.

My problem is an authentication one. I can send and receive mail as long as the smtp authentication is anonymous.

As you described it in one of your original messages, "I can't receive and send message to the big guys like hotmail, and others" and "If i turn on Windows integrated atuthentication in the SMTP access atuhentication  i won't be able to send or receive mail."  The first is due to using a dynamic IP.  Most of the larger ISP's and networks reject email from dynamic IP ranges outright.

Obvisously i don't want it to be set to anonymous, because my queue folder was full with hundreds of messages form unknown ppl.
    - if i uncheck the SMTP anonymous access, then those who try to send me mail will receive a non delivery msg saying my machine didn't authorize the sender.
    I want to know why this happens and how can i fix this ?

You are looking at two things.  First, do you want every connection to authorize to you?  If so, then every single account that emails you has to have a valid Windows account and authorize to your server.  That's not normally what you would set.  You can also set your system to relay for only authorized accounts, then only those using your email system as their SMTP server need to authenticate, or you can relay for specific IP address, usually just local ones.

You don't tell us what version of operating system you use, so we can't give specific instructions in configuring SMTP, but take a look at:

How to Enable and Interpret the Smtp.log File:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155455

HOW TO: Test Windows 2000 IIS SMTP Services Manually
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286421

HOW TO: Test SMTP Services Manually in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323350

Server 2003 Docs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/proddocs/en-us/default.asp

IIS6 Docs:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/webapp/iis/default.mspx

IIS6 Technical Reference:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/IIS/6/all/techref/en-us/default.mspx

Jeff

Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:18 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    Another thing, no-ip.com manages my DNS records. and yes i've added an MX record in the no-ip.com DNS 
    I believe u do not understand how Dynamic DNS providers work. My IP is dynamic, but since my domain is managed by no-ip.com, it is up to no-ip.com DNS to trasnlate connections between my mail server and other mail servers.
    I know exactly how NO-IP and other dynamic DNS providers work, and it's not up to them to translate connections for your SMTP.  They translate DNS entries in semi-real time so that if your IP changes they forward to your new IP.  That's it.  What type of connection occurs over the link isn't something they deal with, with the exception of port forwarding to bypass ISP port restrictions.

Most large ISP's automatically reject SMTP connections from known dynamic IP ranges.  You can't get around that with a dynamic DNS service.  You will see these in your SMTP log files.  Test your SMTP to make sure it's reachable from outside.  Review the logs to see what's happening with connections.

Jeff
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 6:22 AM
  • User-521509249 posted
    I'm running Win2k3 sp1.

The things u said about the authentication issue weren't very clear to me
    - what do i want ? answer : i want everybody(hotmail users, yahoo users, etc) to be able to send mail to my server email accounts.
    - if i go to the smtp properties and then click in the access tab, i have 3 types of authentication "anonymous", "basic", "integrated windows authenticvation". right ?
     1- if i uncheck the anonymous authentication, what happens ? answer: anyone (from an hotmail account, yahoo account, or whatever) that tries to send mail to my email server accounts will get a non delivery msg saying (my machine didn't authorize them).
       - How can i solve this ??

Another problem i'm having
    - all the incoming email messages to my email server accounts go to the "queue folder" (i'm using the default folders), and don't go to the imbox in outlook express) - i know what ur thinking , i don't have the account well configured on outlook express, but i do.
      What may be the reasons for this to happen ?
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 10:06 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    I'm running Win2k3 sp1.

The things u said about the authentication issue weren't very clear to me
    - what do i want ? answer : i want everybody(hotmail users, yahoo users, etc) to be able to send mail to my server email accounts.
    You want the SMTP servers from those networks to communicate with yours.  That may be a problem using a dynamic IP since the big ISP's like Yahoo reject email from dynamic IP ranges.

- if i go to the smtp properties and then click in the access tab, i have 3 types of authentication "anonymous", "basic", "integrated windows authenticvation". right ?
     1- if i uncheck the anonymous authentication, what happens ? answer: anyone (from an hotmail account, yahoo account, or whatever) that tries to send mail to my email server accounts will get a non delivery msg saying (my machine didn't authorize them).
       - How can i solve this ??

Those are for client accounts accessing your SMTP server.  Not other SMTP servers accessing it.  If they are using their ISP's SMTP server these settings shouldn't come into play.

- all the incoming email messages to my email server accounts go to the "queue folder" (i'm using the default folders), and don't go to the imbox in outlook express) - i know what ur thinking , i don't have the account well configured on outlook express, but i do.
      What may be the reasons for this to happen ?
    The reason is that Outlook Express is a MAPI/POP client, not a SMTP client.  Using just SMTP you will never get a mailbox for Outlook Express to connect to.  You need to configure a POP server.

Take a look at:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/4b115fcd-3f3b-4d3d-8d12-f51d2e996a12.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/ServerHelp/c5378206-e19c-4bc0-b8dc-19f2df832303.mspx

Jeff
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:37 PM
  • User-521509249 posted

You want the SMTP servers from those networks to communicate with yours.  That may be a problem using a dynamic IP since the big ISP's like Yahoo reject email from dynamic IP ranges.

-ok

Those are for client accounts accessing your SMTP server.  Not other SMTP servers accessing it.  If they are using their ISP's SMTP server these settings shouldn't come into play.

- I know they r for client accounts accessing my SMTP server, the problem is that if i uncheck the anonymous access, my clietns won't be able to authenticate.

The reason is that Outlook Express is a MAPI/POP client, not a SMTP client.  Using just SMTP you will never get a mailbox for Outlook Express to connect to.  You need to configure a POP server.

-I'm running POP3 service too

Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:16 AM
  • User-521509249 posted

another thing :

- How do u explain the non delivery msg that every one gets when they try to send mail to my server if i uncheck the anonymous authentication ?

Thursday, October 20, 2005 11:45 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    - I know they r for client accounts accessing my SMTP server, the problem is that if i uncheck the anonymous access, my clietns won't be able to authenticate.

Unless you create Windows accounts for them.  That's the way it works.  Did you look at the links?

-I'm running POP3 service too

You're asking about the SMTP queue.  If you're not getting emails delivered to your POP service, then your DNS settings are likely wrong.

Jeff
    Friday, October 21, 2005 4:47 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

- How do u explain the non delivery msg that every one gets when they try to send mail to my server if i uncheck the anonymous authentication ?

What is the SMTP log for that attempt?  What is the exact non-delivery message?

Jeff

Friday, October 21, 2005 4:48 PM
  • User-521509249 posted

Unless you create Windows accounts for them.  That's the way it works.  Did you look at the links? [/quote jeff@zina.com]
    - i have windows accounted created for each user.

You're asking about the SMTP queue.  If you're not getting emails delivered to your POP service, then your DNS settings are likely wrong.[/quote jeff@zina.com]
    - C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Queue i don't know wether this folder is SMTP queue folder or POP 3 queue foder. all i know is that i caan find there msgs that ppl have sent to my server and that haven't beeb delivered to the final user. 
    - I don't know what DNS has to do with it, why would i have the need to run my own DNS server?

i feel like giving up on all this.

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:12 PM
  • User-521509249 posted
    1 - Where do u find the SMTP log ? is it under C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles ? if so in witch one of the folders ?
    2- i don't know the exacly msg because i deleted it, but basically it said:
        "the host  that this msg was delivered to, has denied access"

Friday, October 21, 2005 6:29 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    1 - Where do u find the SMTP log ? is it under C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles ? if so in witch one of the folders ?
    2- i don't know the exacly msg because i deleted it, but basically it said:
        "the host  that this msg was delivered to, has denied access"

From a prior post:

How to Enable and Interpret the Smtp.log File:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155455

If the host denied access, it's not authentication of the client.

Jeff
    Friday, October 21, 2005 10:30 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    - i have windows accounted created for each user.

Then using Windows authentication won't deny them access, as long as the client is properly configured to log in.

- C:\Inetpub\mailroot\Queue i don't know wether this folder is SMTP queue folder or POP 3 queue foder. all i know is that i caan find there msgs that ppl have sent to my server and that haven't beeb delivered to the final user. 

The SMTP queue.  POP doesn't use a separate queue.  If the messages haven't been delivered, then the system can't find where to send them.

- I don't know what DNS has to do with it, why would i have the need to run my own DNS server?

DNS provides name resolution and identifies the mail exchanger for the domain.  If the sending system can't find the destination system, mail ends up in the queue with no where to go.  As long as the message is properly addresses, it means the SMTP server can't find or can't identify or can't reach the destination system.  Identification is handled by DNS, whether you run your own server or not.  And you don't have to run your own server, but DNS does have to be configured properly.

Have you manually tested the SMTP Server according to the instructions in a prior post?  If you're not going to read the links, I'm just going to stop posting them.

i feel like giving up on all this.

No offense, but you probably should.  At your stage of knowledge you don't have the background to understand why this doesn't work.  You haven't read and followed the links posted to help you, you're running on a dynamic IP which is problematic at best and you haven't tried to narrow down any single step of the process.  You want to do everything and have it work, but you aren't willing to work through the numerous problems you encounter.  For $10 a month or less you can have a hosted web site with email included and even register your own domain, all with someone else having to fix the problems.

Jeff
    Friday, October 21, 2005 10:41 PM
  • User-521509249 posted
    -I check all the links you gave me, but couldn't find there the help i needed, that's why i kept on posting
    -and yes i have tested the SMTP according to the ms article. it was ok.
    Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:10 AM
  • User-521509249 posted
    -I check all the links you gave me, but couldn't find there the help i needed, that's why i kept on posting.
    -I know i could find a host at low cost, but that's not what i want - the purpose of working with mail server on my own as well as the purpose of working with asp.net, as well as my participation on this forum, is to learn about these tools and to increase my knowledge.
    -If u had payed atention, i mentioned earlier that i added an MX record into no-ip.com DNS. no-ip.com as i said earlier manages my domains.
    Saturday, October 22, 2005 9:19 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Okay, at least you have one step out of the way.  Did you test externally to your network, using the no-ip.com address?

-If u had payed atention, i mentioned earlier that i added an MX record into no-ip.com DNS. no-ip.com as i said earlier manages my domains.

I paid attention.  I didn't say anything about having to have a MX record for your system.  I said that the SMTP server has to be able to resolve the MX record for the destination.  Try using NSLookup from your SMTP server to test your DNS name resolution.  Try using dnsreport.com to see if you're getting a proper resolution of your mail record.

If your SMTP tests correctly from outside your network, try sending a message to it and from it and look at the SMTP logs for that attempt.  If you have SMTP and POP configured correctly, you can also send a test message from yourself to yourself.

Jeff
    Saturday, October 22, 2005 5:29 PM
  • User-521509249 posted

-I teyed the NSLlookup and my e-mail server can be reached.

-I also tried dnsreport.com wich is a very neat tool, and the result was good, my domain passed all the test, except the "Open Realy Test" :
    The result of this test was :

"WARNING: One or more of your mailservers appears to be an open relay. If so, this means that you are allowing spammers to freely use the mailserver to send out spam! It is possible that your mailserver accepts all E-mail and later bounces it, or accepts the relay attempt and then deletes the E-mail, but this is not common.
    WARNING: mail.mydomain.com appears to be an open relay: 250 2.1.5
    Not.abuse.see.www.DNSreport.com.from.IP.myip@DNSreport.com"

-
    Does this mean i can be a victim of e-mail spoofing ? Can i do something about it ?

- The other problem i seem to have now is that mail msgs sent to my server remain in the queue folder and don't reach the mailboxes.

Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:33 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Take a look at:

Install and Configure the Email Server in Windows Server 2003 + Outlook Express:
    http://www.ilopia.com/Articles/WindowsServer2003/EmailServer.aspx

Also:

Configuring SMTP Virtual Server Relay Restrictions (IIS 6.0):
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/58f05ef9-55a3-42b3-9f57-27fdc8723b8a.mspx

And:

SMTP Administration (IIS 6.0):
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/4b115fcd-3f3b-4d3d-8d12-f51d2e996a12.mspx

Jeff

Sunday, October 23, 2005 11:56 AM