"The List Cannot be Displayed in Datasheet view....." RRS feed

• Question

• I created a standalone Win 2008 R2 x64 server,performed a Basic SharePoint Foundation (beta) install, installed Office 2010 on the same box, and am using IE 8 on that box to browse SharePoint sites. When I try to view a list in Datasheet view I get this error:

The list cannot be displayed in DataSheet view for one or more of the following reasons:

- A datasheet component compatible with Miicrosoft Sharepoint Foundation is not installed.
    - Your web browser does not suport ActiveX controls
    - A component is not propelry configured for 32- or 64-bit support.

How can I troubleshoot this?

TIA,

barkingdog
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 9:26 PM

Answers

• Try installing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components after you have installed Office 2010 64-bit on the client machine. This should provide you with the edit in Datasheet functionality. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Since you are doing this on the server I suspect you are running into the same issues that I did.

First, you need to have an Office installation in order to use the datasheet view.  As the error describes you need an ActiveX control that is installed by office.

Second, assuming that you have installed Office, you will also see the error message above if you installed the 64 bit version of Office.  The ActiveX control needed for the datasheet view is incompatible with the 64 bit version of Office.

The only fix is to make sure that you have the 32 bit version of Office installed on the machine where your IE8 installation is.  Please note that you can't mix a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Office.  You can install the 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit OS, like Server 2008, but you must then install only 32 bit versions of any Office application.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:41 PM

All replies

• Since you are doing this on the server I suspect you are running into the same issues that I did.

First, you need to have an Office installation in order to use the datasheet view.  As the error describes you need an ActiveX control that is installed by office.

Second, assuming that you have installed Office, you will also see the error message above if you installed the 64 bit version of Office.  The ActiveX control needed for the datasheet view is incompatible with the 64 bit version of Office.

The only fix is to make sure that you have the 32 bit version of Office installed on the machine where your IE8 installation is.  Please note that you can't mix a 32 bit and 64 bit version of Office.  You can install the 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit OS, like Server 2008, but you must then install only 32 bit versions of any Office application.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Paul,

>>>
    >>>

I did install the 64 bit version of Office! After all, the OS is 64-bit, SharePoint requires 64-bit so why not Office!  I was aware that I can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit Office verisons but not the wrinkle you just mentioned. 

BTW: Will I envcounter the same issue if I install Office x64 on my x64 workstation and access SharePoint 2010? (From what your wrote: "you will also see the error message above if you installed the 64 bit version of Office." I think the answer may be yes.)

Barkingdog
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:23 PM
  • Is there a patch or a fix coming out for this?  Obviously this will be a huge issue as most organization will deploy 64 bit if the os is 64 bit. 
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Yes, If you use the 64 bit version of Office on any workstation you won't be able to access the datasheet view on that workstation.  I don't think you will see a fix for this coming anytime soon.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:41 AM
  • I agree with the folks above that this is a HUGE issue. We've got clients running x64 workstations and those will be upgraded to Office 2010 x64 soon. As I understand, that means those people are going to lose the datasheet view. I'm not planning on upgrading and then having to uninstall and reinstall everything again once a fix is available. So that would mean I have to delay the roll-out of Office 2010 for those workstation due to such a stupid bug...  sigh...
    MCTS in Web Application Development in .NET 2.0
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:33 PM
  • You can install Office 2010 32 bits on a 64 bits OS.

If you read carefully when you download Office 2010 from msdn you will find a section called Instruction and resources where they say:

Important: Microsoft strongly recommends the use of 32-bit (x86) versions of Office 2010, Project 2010, and Visio 2010 applications as the default option for all platforms.

Office 2010 64 bits will not be required in most of the scenarios.

You can read more on this blog:  http://rperreaux.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!5D7BD18D324CBEEF!1333.entry?sa=390353830

Serge

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Yeah sure, but that's a workaround and not a fix. I didn't buy all brand new 64-bit hardware to install 32-bit software on it. Microsoft keeps pushing us to go 64-bit and when we do, things don't work because 'it's not there yet'. That's kind of the wrong way around now, itsn't it?

For others: if you still want to leverage Access capabilities without reinstalling / downgrading to 32-bits: take the following steps:

1) Create a new access database
    2) Choose External Data on the ribbon
    3) Click "More" under Import & Link and choose "SharePoint List"
    4) Choose Link a list and enter your site address
    5) Choose your list

Now your list is linked into Access and you can edit / add / delete items in Access. Your changes will be reflected in SharePoint. I'm not sure wether this supports every option the datasheet view does, but I'm pretty sure it comes close. It seems the only which which misses is a 64-bit version of the ActiveX control to communicate with Access. Since it's there for 32-bit, I really don't understand why it didn't get updated to a 64-bit version as well.

• Proposed as answer by Omaar Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:15 PM
  • Try installing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components after you have installed Office 2010 64-bit on the client machine. This should provide you with the edit in Datasheet functionality. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Jennie,

I'm on 64-bit Win 7 and 64-bit Office 2010. I tried the link above. The installation went fine. When I attempted to view a list in Datasheet mode I get this error:

The setup controller has encountered a problem during install. Please review the log files for further information on the error.

I've closed and re-opened IE and keep getting the same error. I don't know where to go look for logs. Any suggestions?

bb
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I get the same error, but the view does work. So when I switch to dataview, it gives the above error message twice and then displays a properly working datasheet view. A solution without any error messages would be nice though. Googling the error points towards license problems?

Friday, May 14, 2010 12:17 PM
  • @AcousTech & @ J Siegmund, what SKU of Office 2010 are you using? Are you on the Released version?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Just to add to the insanity... we are looking to host Office 2010 Web Apps locally and, at least, on MSDN. only the 64 bit version if available! The idea is that SharePoint acts as the backend storage for the Office 2011 Web but with 64-bit web apps datasheet view probably won't work.  And the beat goes on.

Barkingdog

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I was encountering a similar problem, but the error message "The list cannot be displayed in DataSheet view..." would only display for a split second, then I was redirected to a Standard view of the Datasheet's view settings.

I closed all Office products and IE, installed the above referenced 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components.  All of my Datasheet views are displaying normally now.

Workstation OS: Server 2008 R2 x64
     Office: 2010 x64 (14.0.4760.1000)
     MOSS 2007

Monday, May 17, 2010 10:19 PM
  • @Jennie E

Workstation OS: Win 7 Enterprise - RTM + All patches

Office: 2010 RTM from MSDN - 14.0.4760.1000 64-bit

MOSS 2007

After installing the recommended package and rebooting IE now crashes when attempting to switch to Datasheet view.

bb
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:07 PM
  • @Jennie E

Not sure if I gave you the right SKU or not. Office is Office Professional Plus. Product ID is 02337-383-0362415-38093.

bb
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:09 PM
  • My $.02...had hoped that since we could host "office" on sharepoint that the datasheet view would be hosted as well.  Turns out you need to install the access view component to get it to work...sort of a half-way hosting of office in my network patching groups eyes.  presumably when wsus begins pushing office 2010 patches the complete patch list will be supplied even though there is one teeny bit of functionality we are looking for.

One of a very short list of complaints about 2010...it looks like a really nice release with the exception of a few points.

Best regards,

S'

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:15 AM
  • I'm running the same MSDN download as AcousTech is:

• Windows 7 64-bit (55041-006-2332855-86695), all patched up
    • SharePoint 2010 MSDN RTM download x64 14.0.4763.1000
    • Office 2010 x64 RTM 14.0.4760.1000; where can I find that other number?

I agree with swirch; it's one of the very little issues we've encountered with the 2010 wave, just too bad it's kind of a vital one.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:00 AM
  • @AcousTech and @J Siegmund

We'd like to get some log files from you if that's ok to determine what is causing the error messages. If you can email me at the following address JennieMSFT90 at Live dot com (at = @ and dot = .), I'll email you from my Microsoft address and give you instructions on howto get the log files that we need to me.

Thanks,

Jennie

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 3:11 PM
  • Hi Jennie,

I just sent you an e-mail. Today I wanted to install Project 2010 (client), I got an error that I can't install because there are 32 bit versions of Office installed on the system. Those 32 bit parts would be the Access components, so I now have to uninstall those unfortunately.

Monday, May 31, 2010 3:32 PM
  • Tried and worked, W7-Ult-64-RTM, Office 2k10 Pro RTM 64-bit technet on WSSv3 hosted at sherweb.com

Another option I found:

Various editions of Microsoft Office 2007 include SharePoint support component, you can also install this some people have said.

http://neganov.blogspot.com/2009/11/cannot-edit-sharepoint-2007-list-in.html

I found above but didn't try yet.

Vote for Freedom - Vote to Protect our Country
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:17 AM
  • Thanks, but mixing 32-bit and 64-bit Office versions isn't going to work for me (see above). But since the problem also exists for 2007 installations, it's more an Office problem then it is a SharePoint one. I'll see if I can crosspost this thread to an Office forum somewhere.
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:28 AM
  • There are various other issues like the datasheet issue clearly documented @ http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288142.aspx

Please do go through it before installing/ uninstalling IE/ Office versions. Definitely painful. I did have to uninstall office 64 and install 32 bit version on my Win 7 laptop.

-Phani

blogged about this sometime back- link

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Hi to all, download and install Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components.

I tested it on Windows 7 64 bit machine + Office 64 bit with sharepoint services locally and MOSS remotely and it works fine.

Giuseppe

Giuseppe Dimauro
    CTO Code Architects srl
    Microsoft MSDN Regional Director for Italy & Master Consultant
    http://www.vbmigration.com
    http://www.codearchitects.com/blog

=dg=
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:50 AM
  • It worked perfectly.  I am happy I can back on this site to look around.  This was a pain in my side.

Thanks Jennie.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 6:41 PM
  • A KB article is now available that discusses using the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components as a workaround to provide the edit in Datasheet functionality. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266203 for more information.

Thanks,
    Jennie

• Proposed as answer by LP1313 Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:38 PM
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:46 PM
  • I am interested in trying your solution however after I create the link I can see the data but it is still read only - how can it be reset to Edit?
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:31 AM
  • In the midst of all this "issue of using the datasheet view" has anyone found a way to edit Managed Metadata Term Store fields from the datasheet view?  The message I get is that the field is read only within the datasheet view; however, editing is allowed from the properties dialog.  Using the properties dialog to update the metadata for mass uploads is a non-starter.  I tried attaching to the link from within an Access instance and continue to have the fields listed as read only.  Is there ANY way to allow mass updating of managed metadata type fields?
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 12:42 AM
  • Jennie

The URL you mention (2266203) indeed addresses the problem. But did anyone notice this paragraph in the article?

>>>

If you are using a 64-bit version of an Internet browser, for example the 64-bit version of Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.0, there is no support for the Edit in Datasheet component.

>>>

In other words, the final solution is not yet in place as I can't use a 64-bit browser.  I am sure this will generate many trouble tickets for me as our end users  are not always sophisticated regarding such matters.

Barkingdog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 2:27 AM
  • I did install the 32 bit driver for the office system and it did allow me to use the datasheet view however I also needed to install visio and sharepoint designer 2010 and because I had 64 bit office installed as well as the 32 bit dirver I could not install either version of the required programs.  I finally uninstalled 64 bit office and installed 32 bit office and I am able to work reasonably within the application now.  Thanks for the help!!
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 11:00 PM
  • That's correct. You need to first install all Office 2010 64 bit components you need. Then you can install the data components, which will effectively block any other installations of Office 2010 software.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:08 AM
  • Guys, believe Jennie, installing 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components  worked fine for me. (Win 7 x64, Office x64)

Thanks Jennie

Arpicheck

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 9:14 AM
  • I just tried this on Win 7 x64 (Enterprise edition) with Office 2010 x64 and it just worked without any errors or issues. thanks Jenni for the info.
    Friday, September 17, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Worked perfectlyno reboot required.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 8:20 PM
  • Jennie's solution worked for me- thank you.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:41 AM
  • Jennie E's answer fixed the problem at our company.  The Office 2007 system driver was the correct fix.  You may have to edit a couple IE settings first but it fixed it on all our Windows 7 x64 Office 2010 computers.

Thank you,

Kevin

Helpful nice guy
    Monday, January 3, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Reviving an older thread here but google likes it, so it's worth mentioning here that this component is all that's required for basic datasheet access - you don't need office at all.  I have a 2008 R2 server with SP 2010 loaded, no Office, and I can edit in datasheet view.  Installing office will get you the sidebar acctions but for basic access you're good to go without an Office install, x86 or x64.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Jennie's solution worked for us as well, two machines at least.

Win7 (64-bit), IE8, Office 2010 (64-bit)

Thanks much, this was a lifesaver!

Lady_M MCTS WSS 3.0, MOSS 2007
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Thanks Jennie! This solution work fine!!!

Workstation OS: Server 2008 R2 x64
    Office: 2010 x64 (14.0.4760.1000)
    SharePoint Foundation 2010

• Proposed as answer by LP1313 Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:38 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LP1313 Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:38 PM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 8:00 AM
  • It's definitely our fault for having installed 64 bit Office.  Office/SFP 2010 versus Windows 7/2008.  Who would have known?  

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Wow!!! 

It really worked as magic Jennie. Thank you very much. 

Merin
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:16 PM
  • This fix has only slightly worked for us, and I was wondering if anyone had an additional workaround or fix.

Installing the Data Connectivity Components allowed us to view our list in datasheet view, and to edit all but one of the fields. However, we are still unable to check and uncheck the one of the fields, which is a Yes/No checkbox.

Any ideas on how to resolve this, or will we need to revert back to x86 Office 2010?

Edit: It would appear that a simple upgrade to IE9 resolves this problem!
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 2:17 PM
  • I believe this is the answer to the question and it looks like this has been an issue since MOSS. I've a locally installed version of SP2010 server running on a 64-bit version of Windows Ultimate. So that comes with all the "fun" of setup which ironically includes removing any 32-bit versions of Office. So I think this is the 'ol joke about running around the car and getting back in to get it to start. Meticulous observance of when your 32-bits were removed and 64-bits added AND then (only then) putting back the missing 32-bits will do the trick.

I don't know what MS continues to do this over and over again (where you must have a specific, anoying, pattern of s/w installations), but at least it's a pattern that can work and be followed. It does seem all who fail have not gotten "out of the car" :)

HTH.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 5:42 PM
  • Thanks Jennie! This post saved me a ton of work!

Naki K. / Falcon IT Services

Thursday, June 23, 2011 3:36 PM
  • That article is all about WSS 3.0 and Business Portal 3.0.  The original question in this post is about SharePoint 2010.  They have very little to do with each other.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 4:47 PM
  • Jennie's post is very useful.  Thanks!

Friday, July 15, 2011 5:16 AM
  • This worked for me. Although if I remember correctly even after I saw the error message, subsequent attempts to switch to the Datasheet view was successful.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Thanks a lot, these solution works for me without install 32Bit Office 2010.

Regards.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:36 PM

Thanks,
    Jennie

This worked for us!  Thanks!!!
    Kim Frehe
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:06 PM
  • Thanks Jennie...

It works...

:)

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:18 AM
  • All,

Datasheet View control issue can be caused by multiple reasons but the UI message more or less same. Consolidating the resolution from this thread with additional information which may help

·     64-Office 2010 | Datasheet View issue - Please check the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266203

·     KB Article 905906 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909506 discusses the error - “You cannot view a list in Datasheet view on a Windows SharePoint Services Web site”

·     The issue could be due to multiple versions of Office Components present on the workstation.  The underlying control for Datasheet View is stslist.dll. While reproducing the issue initiate Process Monitor on the workstation to find the version of stslist.dll is been used (Searching the Process Monitor log will provide a clue). Process Monitor can be downloaded from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645. The resolution on this scenario could be the repair of higher version of Office.

·     Datasheet View is a 32-bit ActiveX Control. The control references multiple common DLL on the workstation. In some scenarios Windows 7 (64-bit) / 32-bit Office 2010 found that MSADO15.DLL not registered properly.  Please contact Microsoft Support for further assistance in correcting the registry information

The registry entry for 32-bit MSADO15.DLL is found under

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{00000535-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}\InprocServer32]

Under this key the DEFAULT value should point to

“%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\System\ado\msado15.dll”

Thank you,

Sundar-MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by Loco Lambri Monday, June 4, 2012 2:45 AM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:57 PM
  • I'd been having this problem recently to and Jennie's suggestion has worked nicely for me too.

However, I have now found a problem using site columns that I'd appreciate some advice on or a pointer of where to go for it. I have a Clients list in my main site and I have then have 2 sub-sites that I want to have related lists in. I have added a site column to the custom column group as a lookup to the customername on my clients list. I can create a list in my sub-site and add a site column to it pointing to the customer site column. If I then add a new item via Sharepoint I can pick a customer from the dropdown and it works perfectly. If however, I open the sub-site list with MS Access I cannot add a row to the list if I specify a value for the site column getting a message something along the lines of this object is read-only. I can save new items if I leave the customer site column blank. I want to import data from an old system but because of this issue I can only possibly do it if I add my client list in the same site and have the customer lookup column as a pointing to that.

Anyone got any suggestions why this doesn't work and if there's anything I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, January 23, 2012 11:23 AM
  •  it works fine.

VMWare 8 with:  MS Windows 2008R2 Datacenter, MS Office 2010, MS SharePoint 2010

Thank you very much

Gerhard Laib

Freundliche Grüße / Best Regards Gerhard Laib
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:49 PM
  • After I installed the 2007 driver I see the datasheet view again but lost my ability to use the Show Task Pane. Is there any fix for to get my show task pane back? I run SP2010 with MS office 2010 and use the driver that jennie talks about above.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:27 PM
  • After a few hours of goofing around I was able to show the task pane directly from the web part even after loading the 2007 access driver.  Here is what you have to do:

1. access site

2. click on the page tab above

3. check the box of the web part in the upper corner

4. Choose list on the tab above

5. that will light up the show task pane icon in the tool bar.

Note : I also had to create a veiw called datasheet view and set it as a default when the list is chosen(unsure if you will have to do this for your web part)

Thanks everyone for your help

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:55 PM
  • You can bypass this issue by using KWizCom's SharePoint List In-Line Editor. It works in all browsers (unlike the datasheet view, this is not an ActiveX component), and also enables editing custom fields!

Check-out the solution:

http://www.kwizcom.com/sharepoint-add-ons/list-in-line-editor/overview/

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for the help Jennie
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Thanks!!!   I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine, Office 2010 32 bit, IE 9, This Worked for me 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Guys,

I've tried Jennie's solution on my machine - (windows 2008 R2 x64 with Sp1 patched, Office 2010 SP1 x64, Sharepoint 2010 Sp1 Patched). My machine runs IE 9 x64 and after installing the Access Component, my DataSheet View is working fine. I can't guarantee the same for people using substandard browsers made by other vendors but as far as IE 9 is concerned, all working fine even in x64. I also got feeback from reliable people that they got it working fine on IE 8 x64, albeit patched. So, in short, my suggestion would be to install the update and then ensure that you have all necessary patches. Good luck and thanks for the reply Jennie.

Sunday, July 1, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Thanks this worked for me.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:06 PM
  • I installed the Office 2007 data components on a client box several months ago and it fixed the issue. I just got a call today that that user can longer "edit in datasheet view"!  Incredible. There must be something in Windows updates (?)  that conflicts\overwrities a key component that SharePoint uses.

Barkingdog

Thursday, August 2, 2012 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Please review the support article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598126 may be applicable

Thank you,

Sundar-MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 3, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Better Late than never though its solved for you it would be useful for someone else, check the below link for the solution. Even have a solution for chrome browser :-)

Data Sheet View Disabled in SharePoint 2010 - http://tad.co.in/?p=98

http://tad.co.in

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 4:58 PM
  • I installed 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components and all is good

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:48 PM