local column to site column RRS feed

• Question

• I want to replace a local library column with a new site column. How can I migrate the existing data in the local column to the new site column?
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can do it by following ways:

1. create new column xyz (calculated column), in Formula =[Title] and click on Ok. Now check it by entering new record and just enter value for Title, and it automatically copies to xyz column.

2. Open list in datasheet view (excel view) and try copy/paste data from one column to another.

3. Or if you want to write some C# code. Here are some of the useful links for you.

http://dhruvshahsp.blogspot.in/2010/06/copy-one-column-value-to-another-of.html

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or "Vote As Helpful"

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can do it by following ways:

1. create new column xyz (calculated column), in Formula =[Title] and click on Ok. Now check it by entering new record and just enter value for Title, and it automatically copies to xyz column.

2. Open list in datasheet view (excel view) and try copy/paste data from one column to another.

3. Or if you want to write some C# code. Here are some of the useful links for you.

http://dhruvshahsp.blogspot.in/2010/06/copy-one-column-value-to-another-of.html

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or "Vote As Helpful"

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 4:37 PM
  • Thanks for your response, Yesh. But when I try to created a site column of type calculated I get the following error which I don't know how to resolve: An unexpected error has occurred. Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation. Correlation ID: 32c06c89-3600-4242-8dc7-562e8b90db52
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 5:09 PM
  • Check that correlation ID in log files (inside 14 hive folder)

Or try with the other 2 ways

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:56 PM
  • Thanks, Yesh. I decided to go with the copy and past idea in the datasheet view. It's a bit labor intensive, but sometimes low tech is the simplest solution.
    • Marked as answer by 33.3 Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by 33.3 Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:05 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 3:02 PM