Submitting form data to a file - not emailed RRS feed

• Question

• My company has an intranet hosted internally. The internal server is running IIS with ASP.NET 1.1 & 2.0 extensions enabled.

Our HR department wants to post questionaires that employees can answer anonymously to the intranet site. They don't want the response data emailed; they would prefer the data be saved in a txt file, spreadsheet or Access database so they can tabulate the results. Is there any way in Expression Web 3 to do this? I'm not having a lot of luck in either the help files or the forums finding an answer. They just sprung this on me a few days ago and of course want it yesterday. Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:46 PM

All replies

• Yes. But...

If you want it fast, I'd just use Coffee Cup Form Builder. Cheap, painless, saves to the server.

Build the form, slap the code in the site you make in EW and post it. Piece of cake.

I'm not sure how complex the questions will be, but try Coffee Cup, especially if you don't have experience with server technology like ASP.NET.

It's not the heat; it's the stupidity.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:59 PM
  • Certainly there is a way to store data from a questionnaire into a database.  But no, not that can be told you in a forum response.  You need to learn some basic asp.net, you need to create the database (if the user base is small enough, and if the database is not being hit by many people at a time, Access might do, but it's not the best choice).  You need to create the questionnaires, and that means either you hand craft each one in code, or you write a layer of admistration where you let others define the quizes (I've done this, but it's not really for a beginner).  You need to learn how to save data to the database, and then pull it out in a report.

...Or, your company can use a commercial (and usually inexpensive) web-based service that already has an administrative panel to define questionnaires that they can send out to employees to take, and an interface to download the results.  Much faster for you unless you have some very non-standard requirements.  (SurveyMonkey is one example you could look at.)

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:47 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:05 PM
  • Both Bill and Kathy have provided you with appropriate answers. FWIW, I can vouch for the ease of use of CoffeeCup Web Form Builder for this purpose, and at $39, it won't break the bank. This is from their marketing blurb:

"With this program, choosing where your form results go is as easy as selecting a checkbox. Save your form results to a database or text file on your server, or have them e-mailed right to your inbox."

If you have MySQL expertise you can use the database option, or choose the text file option and parse it yourself to whatever data provider(s) you prefer.

As Kathy said, there are services which exist for no other purpose but to provide this kind of questionnaire capability for a fee. Or, you might consider, if you have SharePoint Server set up on your intranet servers, setting up a questionnaire there. That's one of the things that SharePoint is good at. And, if the company has a SharePoint admin already, you get to kick the ball right over to him. Heh... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 9:23 PM
  • This software is free and seems to claim that.  I can't vouch for it or whether it really is even free...but it says you can review the reports in Excel and even create graphs.

http://wufoo.com

Thank you for not trying to start an argument.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 11:47 PM
  • Survey Monkey is the one most commonly used. Basic is free and the paid versions are less expensive than the wufoo one codeaholic mention http://surveymonkey.com
    Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Friday, July 22, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Sending form input to a database is quite simple. Look at Tutorial number 1:

http://www.homepagedoctor.com/Tutorials.aspx

If you use an Access database, whomever in HR wants to analyze the data can download the Access database via ftp

ClarkNK, A.K.A. HomePage Doctor
    HomePageDoctor.com -- Expression Web database tutorials
    Ownertrades.com -- Created with FP, Access, Bots and Wizards
    LawOfAllTheLand.org -- Created with Expression, VWDExress, SQL Express, and ASP.NET.
    Arvixe -- My favored web host
    Friday, July 22, 2011 2:37 AM