none
There is no object in this control RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello, I am having a lot of trouble with 2003 access database made for the company I am currently working on. As we are migrating all the data from our local servers to cloud storage, I got a task to make the old access database work in the new work environment.

    Front end DB in the users PC and backend DB in cloud server. Originally the database was stored on Windows server 2003 where many users could use it at the same time. However, whenever im trying to run front end from my own PC (windows 10) and the backend from cloud, i am getting error "There is no object in this control".
    In the references I can't find anything marked as missing. 
    - Access 2003 and runtime is installed in the PC.
    - Tables linked from the correct path, however when linking, 2 tables seem to be missing.
    - I've tried to run the db on 2007/2010/2016 access, which gives the same result.
    -Installed everything i've found originally in the database folder ( comctl32.ocx , dbcocx32.ocx )

    Do i have to link front end from the back end database too or am I missing specific control files? I've spent over 50 hours on this DB revival nonsense and I am completely lost.

    Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:44 AM

All replies

  • It's my understanding that ACCESS does not support using "cloud storage" or One Drive. In a multi-user envirnoment, it must be used on a physical network shared-drive. You will need to go back to using it that way no matter what version you are using. Just make sure that the back-end file is located in a "Trusted Location" on the network drive and each user has their own copy of the front-end file on their own computer also in a Trusted Location.

    Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Cloud storage using OneDrive or similar is not suitable as a back end for Access.  Migrating the back end to Azure would be one solution.  You might like to take a look at this thread in the MS Communities Access forum; in the thread Daniel Pineault has given a number of links to useful Azure related sites.

    Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England


    • Edited by Ken Sheridan Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:58 PM Typo corected.
    Thursday, April 19, 2018 3:56 PM
  • Have you tried doc_man's suggestions from your other cross-post https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=299350

    You need to look at the autoexec macro and the code behind the opening form to see where the error occurs.

    Cheers,

    Vlad

    Thursday, April 19, 2018 4:03 PM
  • This is the systemstart() function ran by AutoExec macro. 

    Function Systemstart()
     On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
       immediateprint = True
       InvCreditPrint = 0
       DoCmd.OpenForm "Splash"
       DoEvents
       DoCmd.OpenForm "Switchboard"
       
       If IsLoaded("Splash") Then
          DoCmd.Close acForm, "Splash"
       End If
        If CurrentUser <> "elainew" Then
            DoCmd.ShowToolbar "HalbroTools", acToolbarYes
        Else
            'DoCmd.ShowToolbar "HalbroTools", acToolbarNo
            immediateprint = False
        End If
        
    ExitHere:
        Exit Function
    ErrorHandler:
        MsgBox Err.Description, , "Error SystemStart"
        Resume ExitHere
    End Function

    I am guessing the problem is in the form_switchboard, but theres a lot of code in there and im not sure what could be the exact cause.
    • Edited by Poloq Friday, April 20, 2018 1:28 PM
    Friday, April 20, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Can you try to comment out the part referring to the custom HalbroTools toolbar and see if you still get the error?

    'If CurrentUser <> "elainew" Then
            'DoCmd.ShowToolbar "HalbroTools", acToolbarYes
        'Else
            'DoCmd.ShowToolbar "HalbroTools", acToolbarNo
            'immediateprint = False
       ' End If

    Cheers,

    Vlad

     

    Friday, April 20, 2018 11:56 PM
  • Does nothing.
    However, I have been experimenting with comments in the form_switchboard. Managed to get debugger going and it points me to trvDisplay.ImageList = imgList.Object this line. Reinstalled VB6 runtime, which is responsible for the trvDisplay controls. Still nothing changed. 

     Dim trvDisplay As Control, imgList As Control
       Dim nodObject As Node

       Set trvDisplay = Me!Treeview1
       Set imgList = Me!MainMenuImageList

        trvDisplay.ImageList = imgList.Object

        trvDisplay.ImageList = imgList.Object 'this is the line debugger points me to

        ' Initialize Treeview control and add node object representing
        ' the categories of examples in the application.
        ' NB NB NB NB see Treeview1_DblClick() for setting of form openarg parameter
        ' which depends upon the title of the menu


    After the lines I provided goes a lot of nodObject setter lines, which have the same names as the menu which is missing. 

            
    • Edited by Poloq Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:50 AM typo
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:44 AM