none
autocomplete for people picker field is not working in custom list form RRS feed

• Question

• hi friends

i have people picker field in my list

when i am using custom list autocomplete of people picker filed is not working.

is there any solution for this using javascript or any setting i have to change.

Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that autocomplete for people picker field is not working in custom list form.

People picker loses its autocomplete functionality and defaults to the old style on a form page other than the default form.

As a workflow around, you can add the JavaScript Code to the form page in the SharePoint Designer to add autocomplete functionality.

For more information, you can refer to:

SharePoint 2013 PeoplePicker Auto-Complete via JavaScript

Here is a similar thread for your reference:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/70cb432a-648b-4995-97a4-40e98fa82d1e/people-picker-functionality-changes-for-custom-list-forms?forum

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, May 9, 2014 2:04 AM
  • hi linda

thank you for your response.

i couldn't find any solution with that.

but i got some solution

i have change

"<SharePoint:FormField"

to "<SharePoint:ClientPeoplePicker"

in list form now people picker field is working like default people picker but value of this field is not saving in list. do you have idea how to resolve this problem.

• Edited by malli.share Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

In SharePoint 2013 the way for selecting people or groups is changed.

There is a new control called ClientPeoplePicker.

You can change the "<SharePoint:FormField" to "<SharePoint:ClientPeoplePicker" to display as the new control.

However, you need to add function to get and set the value to the control.

More information:

ClientPeoplePicker in SharePoint 2013

How to add Client People Picker in SharePoint Hosted Apps

How to: Use the client-side People Picker control in SharePoint-hosted apps

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, May 19, 2014 1:42 AM
    Thursday, May 15, 2014 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

Forms Designer allows to put the Client People Picker onto a custom form and provides rich JS-framework to handle the control. Get more info:

http://formsdesigner.blogspot.com/2014/06/client-people-picker-on-custom.html

http://spform.com/

Monday, June 9, 2014 7:35 AM
  • However, you need to add function to get and set the value to the control.
    The links you provided did not include information about how to add this control. Any insight?
    Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:39 PM
  • Related to this isuue, I've inherited an SP2013 on-premise bug on a solution using a custom control to render a list newform where I found the "formfield" was rendering the SP2010 peoplepicker on a custom newform for a list -- what was odd was that on a similar custum newform for a second list the SP2013 clientpeoplepicker displayed.

On the problem newform, I did the switch from formfield to clientpeoplepicker but ran into same save issue so reverted back and after comparison found the difference between two forms was that I had the peoplepicker formfield on the problem form wrapped in a panel control where we set visible='false' and in codebehind we set to true based on a condition in the user's profile.

I found that once I switched that logic where the asp:panel was set visible='true' by default and switched my codebehind to set the panel to false using the opposite condition, the SP2013 peoplepicker rendered correctly.

I took it a step further and replaced the panel with it's codebehind to show and hide controls to jquery hide/show capabilities.

So it appears to render the SP2010 legacy control if you're not rendering the formfield on initial page load. 

• Edited by edbob40 Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:32 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 10:26 PM
  • A general SharePoint Designer solution is found in another post, here: Clientpeoplepicker control in custom SharePoint List form
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:55 AM