Securing SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• hi 

how can i secure my published sql server communication channel ,and server in general 

thanks in advance 

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:59 PM

Answers

• It depends on what are you trying to do on the server, and what exactly are you trying to secure.

For example, if you have sensitive data you can encrypt them. If you don't want your stored procudes to be in plain text you can encrypt your stored procedures. You can get a certificate and implement SSL connection between the clients and your server. You can control users accessing your server and grant them permissions to only what they need. You can create views instead of granting access to the tables directly. Many many things to think about, all depending on your requirements.

Abdallah El-Chal, PMP

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:59 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 7:38 PM

All replies

• It depends on what are you trying to do on the server, and what exactly are you trying to secure.

For example, if you have sensitive data you can encrypt them. If you don't want your stored procudes to be in plain text you can encrypt your stored procedures. You can get a certificate and implement SSL connection between the clients and your server. You can control users accessing your server and grant them permissions to only what they need. You can create views instead of granting access to the tables directly. Many many things to think about, all depending on your requirements.

Abdallah El-Chal, PMP

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:59 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 7:38 PM
  • user will connect to database remotely on published SQL server so i want to secure communication channel between client and server , if i use SSL and limit access to fixed clients is that enough ?

Thank You 

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 10:30 AM
  • If you don't care about securing the data at rest and only care about data transfer, then an SSL connection should be enough.

Abdallah El-Chal, PMP

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:10 PM