none
Quality and track selection controls in Azure Media Player on Safari not showing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have multi-bitrate content with DRM encryption (FairPlay, Widevine and PlayReady) that works perfectly fine across all browsers except I cannot get the Quality and Track selection controls to show in Safari.

Whether or not my asset has audio and subtitles track available, I only get the 'CC' icon with the option to choose between 'Unknown' and 'Captions Off'

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks, R

Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:20 AM

All replies

• rscreenhits, thank you for your question. We have reached out to some internal resources to see if we can understand if this scenario is supported in Safari, and if so, what might be some troubleshooting methods to try out.

We will update you shortly once we hear back.

Saturday, December 1, 2018 2:36 AM
  • Is this Safari on OSX/macOS or iOS? 

The expected behavior on Safari for iOS is that the native iOS player takes over the quality track selection automatically.

If this is occurring in Safari for OSX/macOS, can you please share a repro link with us?

We look forward to your reply.

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:29 PM
  • This is Safari on OSX/macOS - I'm putting together a test page and will post in on here shortly.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 12:10 PM
  • Here is the test link:

https://051da6c1d4134984a0f18e20ff313064.cloudapp.net/unrestricted/tester

I look forward to your reply!

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 7:31 PM
  • We took a look at the URL you provided. AMP relies on the Safari video player when playing HLS content in Safari, and Safari doesn’t provide the video quality info.  If you play the same video on iOS Safari, you’ll see that the native video player appears and the video quality or qualities are not available either.  This is expected.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 5:45 PM
  • Thank you for your prompt response.

Our issue is on desktop Safari macOS/OSX - our platform doesn't support playback on mobile devices.

Our main problem is for our desktop Safari users not being able to select the subtitle tracks - is this expected?

Friday, December 7, 2018 10:23 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion. The product group was giving an example of comparing Safari for iOS and Safari on macOS/OSX. Their above explanation was that Safari on macOS/OSX was handling the selection automatically just like on iOS.
    Saturday, December 8, 2018 3:42 AM
  • Our Safari users cannot see when there are audio/subtitle tracks available for the content they are watching - is this the expected behavior from the player? I understand that the player handles the quality selection automatically, but this is not our issue.

Looking forward to your input.

Monday, December 10, 2018 10:21 AM
  • It’s because we default to the native player on iOS.  Whatever Apple provides as standard native controls is what is supported.

Subtitle selection has been available for OSX Safari HLS playback.  For audio track selection for OSX Safari HLS playback, we recently enabled it. We are targeting the next release of AMP. The HLS video playback quality(bitrate) isn’t accessible and thus we cannot provide a menu.

There are settings in the iOS system settings app and on Mac to control this. We recommend looking at the Apple OS level documentation for the details on these settings.

For example on iOS - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202774

And on Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202797

Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:06 AM
  • Im also facing same issue.

How can we display video quality option for Mac safri browser, is it possible to do with azure media player?

Azuremediplayer Version we used- Azure Media Player v2.1.2

Friday, January 24, 2020 10:28 AM