Don't have option to check the wireless properties of my secured WPA2-Enterprise wireless network

Question

• Hello,

I am able to see other wireless networks that are unsecured which i can right click and select properties.  However when I attempt to do the same for my corporate secured network, there is no option other than "connect" available.  Since my organization uses certificates to connect to the wireless, there are some changes I need to make to be able to connect wirelessly.  I've installed all the corporate certificates, and I still cant connect.

I receive this error: EAP-TLS or PEAP authentication failed due to unknown CA certificate during SSL handshake

Anyone know how i can get to the properties of my corporate wireless network?

Thanks in advance

Stone

Friday, September 23, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• Hey Stone,

I suggest that you work with your corporate I.T. department to make sure you have each certificate in the correct certificate store.   From the desktop, hit WIN+r, type mmc and press Enter, accept the UAC prompt.  From the mmc console, go to File >> Add/Remove Snap-in and add the certificate snap in, and select "My user account' to manage certificates for your account, then click Finish, you can then use the certificates mmc console to verify each certificate is in the correct certificate store.

Regards,

Gary
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:11 AM
    Answerer
  • Gary,

Thanks for the reply.

I've checked with my Networking folks and I've got the certificated in the Trusted root store and I've let the system automatically add the certificate to the appropriate store with no success still.  Its only when i try to connect wirelessy that I have an issue with this.  Windows 8 has no problems with an ethernet connection.

Thanks again

Stone 

Monday, September 26, 2011 2:10 PM
  • So far as I can tell, Settings | Networks shows you the SSID for your authenticated network but doesn't create a profile for it.  For example, if you open a Command Prompt and enter netsh wlan show profile you won't see an entry for your network.

There may be more elegant ways to create a profile but I've found the following works:

1. Start Control Panel from the Start screen
    2. Scroll to the bottom and select More Settings
    3. Launch Network and Sharing Center
    4. Select Setup a new connection or network
    5. Select Manually connect to a wireless network and click on Next
    6. Enter your SSID in Network Name and other values as appropriate then click on Next
    7. Select Change connection settings to associate your certificate with the connection and to set other authentication parameters

Once you've set up a profile you can access the settings from Settings | Networks.  Using the digitiser pen, hold down the "right-click" button and tap your network name in Settings | Networks.   In the context menu select Properties.  I haven't figured out how to do this using the Mark I human finger.  I thought press and hold was "right-click" but it doesn't work in this context.

If you manage to connect to your authenticated network could you post back here to let me know?  I'm having trouble connecting to my authenticated network even after I set up my profile so it would be good to know that someone has been successful.  If you still can't connect, you could check my question to see if any suggestions have been made: 802.1x Authentication Problem: UC/PW Never Succeeds - How To Diagnose?Subscribednone

Monday, September 26, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hi Frank,

After performing the above tasks, it would appear that I am still unsuccessfull. I get the prompt to enter my NT ID and password from the wirless but that's as far as i get.   However I checked with my networking folks and they told me that they could see my Windows 8 tablet authenticate on the WAP successfully, but on locally it still tells me that I have not connected successfully.

Not really sure where to go from here, but wanted to let you know

Stone

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hello,

Can you submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Regards,

Gary
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:20 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the update Stone.  I suspect we're both suffering from the same challenge/opportunity/bug.  Which in itself is good to know, some suggestion that I'm not doing something stupid.  :-)  I'll press ahead so far as is possible.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:59 AM
  • Will do.  I'm on a business trip at the moment so it may take me a couple of days to get the feedback submitted but once I get some free time I'll submit it to Connect and cross-link the submission here.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Posted feedback in connect.microsoft.com but the feedback tool makes all submissions private so I can't post a link.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:39 PM
  • Frank,

Just wanted to check to see if you have heard anything from Microsoft yet regarding our issue? 

Thanks

Stone

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:33 PM
  • No I haven't.   Digging through logs and traces I found the WiFi driver objecting to a version number (gory details here) but haven't heard anything since.  There was a WiFi driver available on Windows Update last weekend but it didn't help.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Microsoft is monitoring the threads and feedback but will not get back with a personal response to your Feedback.

Marilyn
    Friday, October 21, 2011 12:36 AM
  • I'm still having this issue with connecting to WPA2-ENT.  Has anyone heard of any updates to this issue? 

Thanks

Stone

Friday, December 9, 2011 4:24 PM
  • I haven't heard anything (nor do I expect to given the way the preview feedback is structured).  Every day I check Windows Update hoping today will be the day.

I hope this gets fixed before the actual beta starts, otherwise participation by people with secured networks is likely to be fairly limited.

Friday, December 9, 2011 7:42 PM