Can't Start Load Test Controller - Access Denied RRS feed

• Question

• I've just licensed Visual Studio Ultimate and installed the Load Test Feature Pack, but I'm hitting Permission Denied whenever I start the load test controller.

Machine X: VS Ultimate installed, and load test controller installed and configured.

Machine Y: Load test agent installed and - so far as I can see - configured to register with controller on X.

But what happens is: In VS2010, I go to main menu -> Test -> Manage Test Controllers. This gives a warnng dialog: Cannot connect with controller X. If the controller was not started you may be able to start it by clicking the restart rig button. The following error was received: You do not have the appropriate permissions to perform this action.

If in response to that I click on the Restart Controller and Agents button, I get the error Access is denied.

This seems strange because I'm running under an account that has local admin privileges on both machines X and Y. The controller and agents are running under another Windows account that has similar permissions. And to make certain I've also explicitly added both accounts to the TeamTestControllerAdmins and TeamTestControllerUsers groups, though I don't think that's necessary if they're in the Administrators groups.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? I've checked the event log, but that doesn't much. Trying to connect to the test controller gives three somewhat cryptic error logs:

First log: QTController.exe, PID 3956, Thread 7) User not in the Admin group.

Second log:(QTController.exe, PID 3956, Thread 7) Does not have 'ControllerUser' permissions

Thirdly a longer log: The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

(devenv.exe, PID 740, Thread 1) Timed out waiting for controller connect

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:13 AM

Answers

All replies

• OK Issue apparently fixed. Turns out the problem was I needed to do run-as-administrator on Visual Studio, instead of running normally.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Hi GreatElectron,

Glad to see this issue has been resolved and thank you for sharing your solutions & experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:29 AM