Best practice for managing subscriptions RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some best practice guidance on setting up and managing multiple Azure subscriptions.

I run a consulting company and I am intending to setup different subscriptions within my Azure account for each of my clients.  In fact, I will likely be setting up separate subscriptions for each environment (dev, test, prod) for each client.

I am wondering what the best practice recommendation is for associating these subscriptions with a directory.  Should I also create a separate directory for each client and associate all subscriptions (dev, test, prod) for each client with their own directory, or should I have a single directory for my consulting company and associate all subscriptions with my company directory?

From a security perspective, my clients will not be doing any of the management so I don't need to worry about account access for the individual clients.  I just need to assign account access to subscriptions to different users within my company.  Which was why I was thinking just a top level directory for my company and assigning all subscriptions to that directory.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 5:23 PM

Answers

• Greetings!

You can have multiple Azure subscriptions with the same user as the Service admin. Also, please note that each subscription will come with a default Azure AD directory.

If a user is a service admin on multiple Azure subscriptions, you'll see a filter / drop down on the top-right to choose the subscriptions you'd want to work with.

Reference: Manage Accounts, Subscriptions, and Administrative Roles 

Thank you,

Arvind

• Marked as answer by Mv_Mike Wednesday, August 5, 2015 11:54 AM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:23 AM