none
Builing a plug-in system in WPF C# RRS feed

• Question

• I've been thinking of adding a **PLUG-IN** feature in my application so that other developers can develop addons/plugins for my app...I am currently following this article (https://www.codeproject.com/Tips/546639/How-to-create-an-easy-plugin-system-in-Csharp)... But,before i begin,i thought for a while and a lot of questions arose in my mind...If any of you would just explain these few things to me,it'll be a great help:

1. The following article is for winforms...My one is a WPF project....so,would this be a problem? Do i need to do something else thats more related to WPF??

2. Thisis ques is quiet related to the first one....Suppose, a user develops a plugin that has a GUI containing WinForm controls(e.g. winforms button/textbox).. Will it conflict/cause any problem to my application?

3… What information should i provide for the developers which they'ld use to build a plugin for my app? Suppose,my app has a datagridview and it loads data from a database..Now a developer wants to develop a plugin to get the values of only cell 1 of the datagrid....in this case,what information should i provide for the developers??

Thanks in advance :)
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 9:20 PM

All replies

• I asked a similar question a few years ago and got no help. Responses were like, well study how other applications do plugins and do it that way. Really helpful, right?

My intent was to provide a way that a plugin could be installed relatively independent of the main application but there would need to be a way for the main application to find. It is reasonable to require that the user do something to allow the plugin to be used. One possibility is for all plugins to be installed in a specified directory and that sounds good until we get down to the details. How would a plugin's installer know what directory? There are many little details like that.

The Windows Installer is actually much more complex than most people would expect; look at the Roadmap. There might be something in there that would be relevant but it might take a couple o months to learn about the installer. For example Windows Installer Features sounds like a plugin capability but I am not sure it is. One thing I would be concerned about is if any of that is useless for managed applications. I think that if someone could figure out how to use the installer in a manner that the installer is designed to be used to make a plugin system then it could be quite professional.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, February 16, 2018 2:01 AM
  • I really need some help/knowledge about this...anyone ?????
    Friday, February 16, 2018 6:48 AM