none
Workflow wait for field change in lookup column

Question

• In many of my 2010 SPD workflows, I have a condition at the start of a workflow to make certain data fields have been set, and I can proceed with the workflow

typical setup is

Is Lookup Column Empty?

Wait for Lookup Column to be Not Empty.

I use this test often on initial doc creations and updates to make sure I don't touch the record until the person mucking with fields has finished their data entry and prevent the workflow errors that come along with that. 

In Designer 2013 you can't set that up because you can only set a Lookup Field evaluation  to Equals and Not equals.   and my glancing at it makes me think it has to see an answer that is an id of one of the rows of the lookup.... not if it's empty or null

So... I saw one workaround was to set a variable to the lookup value... and then do the wait evaluation on it.... but you can't do a "Wait for variable to change." 

I thought about having a calc field that would take the value of the lookup field... but calc'd fields don't work with lookup fields... so that blows that too.

So...how does one do the style of lookup field evaluation I'm trying to do?

I thought about writing to a piggybacked list, and waiting for field change in that... but again. you can't wait for field change in another list.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:39 PM

Answers

• I have an ugly way to do this...

I put a loop on the front of the workflow.

condition of the loop is to run until a variable is not empty

Inside the loop, it just sets the variable to the column I'm watching

so until that field changes...loop can't exit.

not a nice way to leave something as it means this thing just barrels along doing this task until the condition is met.

conversely...might be the equivalent of how the old 2010 did its wait for field change task.

• Marked as answer by CarphuntinGod Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• I have an ugly way to do this...

I put a loop on the front of the workflow.

condition of the loop is to run until a variable is not empty

Inside the loop, it just sets the variable to the column I'm watching

so until that field changes...loop can't exit.

not a nice way to leave something as it means this thing just barrels along doing this task until the condition is met.

conversely...might be the equivalent of how the old 2010 did its wait for field change task.

• Marked as answer by CarphuntinGod Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 5:08 PM
  • Hi CarphuntinGod, 

Why not just create SharePoint 2010 platform workflow in SharePoint SharePoint designer 2013? 

Since your issue is solved, please remember to mark your reply as an answer. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:06 AM
  • I made the workflow in 2013 to utilize new features that exist there...but not in 2010 wf's.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 1:21 PM