Problems connecting to Azure Database due to firewall error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i'm trying to create a new online database using Azure. I've created the server and database on the Azure Portal, but i'm having trouble connecting to it from SQL Server Mangement Studio 2016 and Visual Studio. Every time i try to connect to the database using the 'Connect to Server' - wizard it log-in but opens a dialogbox which says, that I need to create a new firewall-rule even dough i've already done it. And when I press ok, the box just closes and then opens again. I've tried deleting all the firewall-rules, and added them again, but i still get the same problem. I know this i a pretty basic problem and that the solution properly is very simple and straight forward, but I would really appreciate if someone could help me, because this problem really stops me further developing my program. Thank you in advance.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 3:26 PM

Answers

• Hello Simon,

SSMS don't throw such a message regarding firewall rules and I never saw such in Visual Studio; can you post a screenshot of it?

In SSMS have you enabled connection encryption; it's required for SQL Azure?

See Azure SQL Database security guidelines and limitations

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hi Simon Hummelgaard,

I’m guessing that’s what you are seeing. Based on my test, when you create new firewall rule from here, it just creates a new firewall rule in your Azure Portal. In this case, I would suggest you check the firewall rules in your Azure Portal/SQL Database/Your Instance/Set Server Firewall as the IP Address in the rule maybe incorrect. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:12 AM

All replies

• Hello Simon,

SSMS don't throw such a message regarding firewall rules and I never saw such in Visual Studio; can you post a screenshot of it?

In SSMS have you enabled connection encryption; it's required for SQL Azure?

See Azure SQL Database security guidelines and limitations

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 5:02 PM
  • Hi Olaf

Connection encryption is enabled but it still throws me a box called "New Firewall Rule" just after i've entered information to connect to the SQL server (Unfortunaly i can't send a screenshot, that my account for unknowned reason "hasen't been confirmed"). When i press ok to create a new rule to add my IP adress to the servers firewall ('Add my client IP: XXXX'), it closes for a few seconds, and then opens again. I've tried adding my IP to the servers firewall in the Azure browser as well, but I still get the message, that 'Client with IP adress is not allowed to access the server', even dough that I in the firewalls settings on Azure can see, that my IP adress has been added. 

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 8:09 PM
  • Hi Simon Hummelgaard,

I’m guessing that’s what you are seeing. Based on my test, when you create new firewall rule from here, it just creates a new firewall rule in your Azure Portal. In this case, I would suggest you check the firewall rules in your Azure Portal/SQL Database/Your Instance/Set Server Firewall as the IP Address in the rule maybe incorrect. 

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 2:12 AM
  • Hi Lin

Thanks for you feedback. I have check the firewall rules in the Azure portal, and the IP adress is correct. That is what wondering me. I have also added my subnet IP range, but i still have the same problem.

Simon

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:56 AM
  • Simon, any update on this?

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:17 AM