none
Server 2019 - FSLogix 2.9.7237.48865 - "User Profile Service" service error and HKEY_USERS not unloading. RRS feed

• Question

• We have 5x RDS servers with over 100+ users connecting in on a daily basis. Almost every day we have a report that at least one user cannot login due to a User Profile Service service issue. (Note this is not a UPD mounting issue as the UPD's are unlocked and if I change the weight of the RDS servers the user can login on another server).

From investigating the server in question, the server "thinks" it still has a handle on the NTUSER.dat file from the VHDX file mounted under the System (PID4) task. You can see this by opening up the Registry and checking the HKEY_USERS hive.

From here there is no way to unload the affected users Hive as it throws an access denied message.

Using process explorer you can see the handle under SYSTEM PID4 but you cannot end task it.

The only way I have found to fix this is to reboot a server. Has anyone come across a method to unload these ghost user Hives?

Current Environment:
    UPD File Server - Server 2019 ReFS SMB3, 10GbE, VMXNET3
    RDS Servers - Server 2019 - FSLogix 2.9.7237.48865, SMB3, 10GbE, VMXNET3

Sunday, February 2, 2020 9:36 AM

All replies

• As a workaround to this particular issue with the HIVE not unloading:

If you have the users credentials open Notepad.exe using the "Run As" option on the affected server. This will cause the User to initiate a session on the server, then once the application is closed it will unload the previously locked Hive.

This has saved me from needing to arrange reboots or rebalancing the farm servers.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:59 AM