none
Adding Danish Support to WEC7 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to add danish language in WEC7. LCID 0006/0406.

__LOCLANGIDLIST              0404 0006 0406 0409 0804 ...............
    _IMAGELANGIDLIST              0404 0006 0406 0409 0804 .................
    SYSGEN_NLS_DA
    SYSGEN_NLS_DA_DK
    SYSGEN_FONTS_SEGOEUI
    SYSGEN_FONTS_SEGOEUIB

looks like there is no resource files for these in AKU. not found in %public\common\oak\lib\ARMV7\retail\.
    Did I miss any thing? did someone tried this before?

By adding registry for DA NLS and copying DA NLS files to device, I can see Danish option in regional settings, but not in User Interface language!

RAlira

Friday, August 12, 2016 3:05 AM

Answers

• Adding answer from MSFT here, It may help someone facing such issues.

To add Danish to the Regional Setting you just need to include Danish in the Platform Builder IDE Catalog.  SYSGEN_NLS_DA SYSGEN_NLS_DA_DK

To add Danish as the User Interface Language require more work by the OEM. WEC7 does not provide the resource files for a “Danish” localized WEC7 OS build. But it still could be accomplished by creating several 0406 Locale directories and then create Danish .res and .str files. The best way to do this is to copy existing .res/.str  files then edit the .res and .str files so they are in Danish.

RAlira

• Marked as answer by Ralira Friday, August 19, 2016 1:14 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Ralira,

If you are asking about WEC7 there is no AKU.  AKU applies to Windows Mobile.

For WEC7, the documentation is pretty clear: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ee490957(v=winembedded.70).aspx

You will need the following two settings:

Danish

SYSGEN_NLS_DA

0x0006

da

Danish language support

None

Danish (Denmark)

SYSGEN_NLS_DA_DK

0x0406

da-DK

Danish (Denmark) language support

None

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, August 12, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for reply IoTGirl,

Sorry for using tag AKU, It came up due to frequent involvement in WinMobile.

What I mean is, There is no resource files for da/da-ak in %public\common\oak\lib\ARMV7\retail\

Adding sysgen and related setting as explained earlier causes build failure! *.res file not found error!

RAlira

Monday, August 15, 2016 1:56 AM
  • Okay here are the steps I used to update the locale to something other than English - in my case I used French.

This is done through project properties on the OS Design.

a)       On the Project menu, click <OS_Design> Properties.

b)       Expand Configuration Properties, and click Locale.

c)        Click next to Language Packs to Build, and click the ellipsis (...) button.

d)       Select each language pack that you want to build with, and click OK.

e)       Click next to Installed UI Language Packs, and click the ellipsis (...) button.

f)         Select each language pack that you want to include in the run-time image, and click OK.

g)       In Default UI Language, select the default language for the run-time image.

h)       In Default Locale, select the default locale for the run-time image.

i)         Click OK.

j)         In Catalog Items View, browse to <OS_Design>\Core OS\International\Language.

k)        Expand the folder for the language for your run-time image.

l)         Add additional catalog items for the language you selected by selecting each catalog item. For more information about the catalog items that you can include to support a particular locale, see National/Regional Language Support (NLS) Catalog Items and Sysgen Variables.  (Note you will need to set both set SYSGEN_NLS_FR and SYSGEN_NLS_FR_FR as both National and Regional support need to be present**)

m)     Save all of your files by clicking Save All on the File menu.

n)       Because you changed the OS design catalog items and project configuration properties, your OS image is now out of date with the design. To recreate the OS image, on the Build menu, click Build Solution. On the Build menu, click Make Runtime Image to make the OS image.

Your OS design now supports the new language and locale (or languages and locales) that you selected.

**You need both the language pack and the language setting if memory serves

I did not have any resource issues but it sounds like you might be in the situation at step n) where your image is now out of date with your design.  Can you confirm that you have followed steps similar to those I used?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, August 15, 2016 5:05 PM
  • Thanks for detailed reply.

As I shown earlier, I have long list of LCID added and works fine.
    Problem is, %public\common\oak\lib\ARMV7\retail\ doesn't have 0406/0006 directory containing *.res files for 0406/0006. You can find 0407, 0409, 0410 etc

In my understanding these public *.res comes from MSFT Drop. we don't need to build them specifically.

RAlira

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Hello Ralira,

Your assumption is incorrect.  For example, in my Compact 7 setup I have only built for ARMv5 so the only directory I have in that lib folder is ARMv5. By your assumption I would have all possible chipsets represented and I do not. This confirms to me that you have not done a recompile since you modified the language setting.

NOTE: I have given these steps out before and they have always solved the problem.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:22 PM
  • You may want to check this blog post...

Good luck,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
    Check out my blog: https://guruce.com/blog

GuruCE
    Microsoft Embedded Partner
    NXP Proven Partner
    https://guruce.com
    Consultancy, training and development services.

Interested in WEC on i.MX6?
    Get the only 100% stable and best performing i.MX6 BSP for WEC7 and WEC2013 here: https://guruce.com/imx6

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:46 PM
  • Sorry It didn't help me on my issue!

RAlira

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:55 AM
  • IoTGirl,

Sorry, Looks like you are not understanding!
    "I have long list of LCIDs added and works fine."

Anyhow Thanks for your time and effort.

Contacted MSFT and they said

"That is correct, Microsoft does not provide resource files (.res) for all possible Locales."

discussion going on, Let me see where it reaches!

RAlira

• Edited by Ralira Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:46 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:03 AM
  • Adding answer from MSFT here, It may help someone facing such issues.

To add Danish to the Regional Setting you just need to include Danish in the Platform Builder IDE Catalog.  SYSGEN_NLS_DA SYSGEN_NLS_DA_DK

To add Danish as the User Interface Language require more work by the OEM. WEC7 does not provide the resource files for a “Danish” localized WEC7 OS build. But it still could be accomplished by creating several 0406 Locale directories and then create Danish .res and .str files. The best way to do this is to copy existing .res/.str  files then edit the .res and .str files so they are in Danish.

RAlira

• Marked as answer by Ralira Friday, August 19, 2016 1:14 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:14 AM