none
Comments about learning CAB and MVC RRS feed

• Question

• I recently read all MS arcticles, downloaded all the source code, guidance package, and did all the Quick Starts, Bank teller and all...etc I have been studying GoF design pattern part time for several years. I wanted to know how MS implemented the MVC. I was expecting a lot more Interface classes, since most of GoF is based on using a lot of interfaces. Instead there is one and only one interface object, the interface to the view which is used by the controler/presenter. I found that surprising. Separation of components of the MVC is rather based on having components registered in several collections classes inside the root WorkItem. Isn't it what the Smalltalk community used to call the "white board" ? I also found that conceptually speaking several concepts create confusion: WorkItem: the word is not significant, does not represent what the component really is. Also, in several cases different words are used to describe the same component: what is a SmartPart? Well its a view, great. But its also a UserControl. Ho...  This makes understanding the framework very complicated and hard for a beginner. One has to read all articles, and all the source code to end up saying "ha!, thats how it works...". 

Not to mention the annoying marketing content mixed up in technical articles: the benefit for your company will be fewer this, more of that....

Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:11 PM

All replies

• Greetings,

CAB is a new technology from Microsoft. using mvc we can create application. How you  use the different technology mainly on the decision of the software architect .

Software Architects make feasibility study on CAB or MVC and decides on which is best suitable for the application development.

Bottom line is to use CAB or MVC mainly depends on the type of project and a lot of other factors. Major stakes holders in the project will decide to use CAB or MVC for the project only after initially study.

Take Care

PL
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:19 PM
  • CAB :

Smart Client - Composite UI Application Block

Check out Microsoft design patterns and practices here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480450.aspx

MVC(Model View Controller):

http://www.asp.net/mvc/

ASP.NET MVC is a free and fully supported Microsoft framework for building web applications that use a model-view-controller pattern. Like ASP.NET Web Forms, ASP.NET MVC is built on the ASP.NET framework.

ASP.NET MVC provides the following benefits:

• Provides complete control over your HTML markup
    • Enables rich AJAX integration
    • Intuitive website URLs
    • Clear separation of concerns which results in web applications that are easier to maintain and extend over time.
    • Testability – including support for test-driven development.

Regards,
    Jai

Saturday, October 17, 2009 6:06 AM